Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Sigh... Just one of those...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Default Sigh... Just one of those...

That expression "its just one of those days"... Im our case its been one of those months. Toploader output shaft has sheered off teeth and clip slot. Surprisingly all gears are fine. Ordered a new shaft from David of course and should have it later this week.
Machine shop who did all the machining on the 351w block supplied me with the bearings also.. for a 302! A week to get the correct ones in as this is the tail end of Canada and they are the only shop around with these.
Wrong steering column adapter shipped for my Lacara wheel.
Wrong u-joint shipped for my power R&P.
New repop quarter windows are worthless crap and in no way usable. Not my first time doing these and yet the closest I can get the top of the window is still 1" away form the weatherstripping. Originals being shipped tomorrow to Quebec to be rechromed which is what I should have done I guess.
5 hours last night spent installing 4 interior speakers, 2 amps, 2 subs, speaker wire, headunit harness to find out the headunit is dead!

The list goes on and on and on. It seems the last month or so everything we touch is screwed up in some way or another. I have 1 month to have the car on the road since thats when the temp import into Canada expires so stress is rising as well at this point.

Today I'm doing weatherstripping. Surely I can't run into any major issues doing this.

I'd love to hear some encouragement from others. I think I said last night I just wanted to roll it into a trailer, return to Jersey and not open it until next year.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:44 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

I hear ya. Just when things start to show a small glimmer of hope that things are going well, bam! something goes into the toliet. I installed my steering wheel, more or less tighten it down and the damn thing wouldn't turn. It is too tight against the column, I guess I need spacers. But now the thing won't come off and I need a steering wheel puller. Another day shot. I feel your pain, I kept my list short in order not to steal your thunder, but yes, I feel your pain. As far as encouragement goes, I guess I need a little too.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:31 AM
jgemperline
1st Gear Member

Keep you head up! I'v enjoyed watching your build!!! You have inspired me if that helps.
I'm getting ready to use your water/sand blasting method. It may be a few weeks before I'm there tho.

Thanks
Joe
Old 08-03-2009, 12:39 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Just remember..."When the going gets tough, the tough get a beer." That's how that saying goes, isn't it?
You'll make it. For a year and half my goal was to take my car to the big local cruise in in 2009. For a while, looking at the disassembled mess of parts, I wondered if it would ever see the road again, let alone the cruise in.
I made it with three days to spare. Of course the folks who looked in the rear wheel housings had no idea they were looking at undercoated duct tape. Next year they'll see undercoated metal.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Yeesh, my sympathies.

I'm currently waiting on some gaskets and hardware for my head swap. Brand new set of TFS Twisted Wedges. Unfortunately, I had to get them now because I blew a head gasket, so I'm super broke. And I'm still waiting for parts, and my next days off are next week, so nothing gets done until then=/
Old 08-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Yup it continues.. the weatherstripping box has disappeared! We did get the new gauge pack installed finally though! Oh yeah.. it had a bad speedo from them which I had to replace last month.

I decided today was an organization day after the loss of the weather stripping box this morning. I have a torn down toploader, everything for the new 351w build that was on hold, new drive shaft, etc, etc and with delays everything got to the point where you cant find anything. This is a 1 1/2 garage.. with the car in it so not much room to start with.

Just found the weather stripping box a few minutes ago.. in the back of my fathers truck!

Overall it was a good day as things needed to get organized anyways. It helped clear my mind, relax, regroup and ready to start again tomorrow. I'm dropping my headunit off in the morning to a guy I know who works on them. Hopefully it can be repaired.

Thanks and I do hope you all get past those things that hold you up.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:17 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

The hardest part getting over the fence is that last little bit. I feel your pain! The Blue car went very well right up till the end, and what should be finished still goes on. I got into quicksand on the rear. First, I played around on the width of the axle housing, thought it was too long, so I chopped it 3/4", and it looked like ****. Never thought it would make such a difference. One of my friends told me "If you cut a quater inch off your ****** and put it on your nose, it would make a BIG difference". I never thought about it that way. Well anyway, what I cut the off the axle tube, I added almost the same amount back. I can say I feel better now and the car looks a whole lot better. OH!!!!!!!! it gets better. I had a "traction loc" with 31 splines that I had saved for the "Shelby" but decided to use it in the 65. So I spent several hours cleaning it up and painting it to make it "purdy" and finally was to the point of putting it into the car. I applied the "gasket maker" put it onto a jack and rolled it under the car. When I tried to put it in guess what, it didn't fit. ****, so back down it came. After some measuring I found out it was a 9 1/2". The bolt pattern is the same but the ring gear just will not go into the housing. So after waiting a day, I scraped off the dried silicon crap, grinded a notch out of the housing, and finally mated the chunk to the housing. Ahhhhhhhh, another thing knocked out. All I can say is, "just hang in there", it will get better. Yehhhhhhhh I forgot to tell you, I got a call from my CPA type guy that I had to pay about another 10K in taxes. That will always make for a bad day. I hope they will spend it well...........********. This year I plan to sit on my hands.

Last edited by 67 evil eleanor; 08-03-2009 at 08:21 PM.