Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Drums to Disc '67

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 06:50 PM
pbarranger67

Default Drums to Disc '67

I have a '67 mustang that I am making into a daily driver for next year. Currently the 67 has drums all the way around, and even though they work well, I had a small heart attack when a Bronco cut me off driving it at 50mph. I believe it is time to upgrade to discs in the front.
I would really appreciate a couple things:
1. A location for a good conversion kit. One that is relatively complete and well priced. I want to do it right but god knows i am not made of money so affordability is key. This is a daily driver no need for drilled and slotted 6 piston brembos.
2. This is my first muscle car so I have never done this. (theres gotta be a first for everything right?) Is there any website or book that gives a detailed guide on how to go about this?
3. Will i have to get new spindles to make this conversion?
4. Any advice that any veterans have... is this a good decision? am i an idiot? how did you first learn?

Car facts:
Was an inline 6 but now houses a 302. Conversion done by he 2nd owner i am the 4th so not a lot of info but looks complete
has 15" rims with new tires so no plans on changing the rims any time soon.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:10 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Is your car still 4 lug or did was it converted to 5 lug? Also, power brakes and/or power steering?

But this is the kit that I plan on using, suggested by rmodel. Its the stock disc brakes for the 67 but upgraded to 4 piston calipers. Much cheaper than most kits out there and its complete save for a couple brake lines that you need but you can make them or order the stock lines for an original disc brake car I believe. It's one of the few I have seen that don't require you to upgrade to 17" wheels, stock 15's are fine.

www.discbrakeswap.com

Go through the selectors for the 67/V8/manual steering/manual brakes. The SWAP 1411 kit is the one you are looking for.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:57 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

was it just me or am i the only one that didnt see any prices on discbrakeswap's website
Old 08-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I did the manual 65-70 OE KH-style CSRP swap last year. I'm very happy with the result. The kit comes with everything you need shy of brake lines and some fittings. It's also OE-style, so replacement parts (pads, rotors, etc) are the ones that originally came on your car, not off a Granada or Maverick or who knows what else.

My car is a daily driver, one that I happen to drive very hard from time to time. The car is much easier to drive with the new discs, and I've yet to run into any fade problems.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:03 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by djsprinklesnjo
was it just me or am i the only one that didnt see any prices on discbrakeswap's website
Once you select a kit it will give you a price. The 1411 kit is 525

And it appears that the CSRP kit is the same exact thing.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

CSRP = discbrakeswap.com
Old 08-03-2009, 08:19 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

That would explain that. I called them and they told me I only needed the brake lines from the disc car, what else did you need?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:28 PM
pbarranger67

For the record i have 5 lugs and have power steering. Thanks for all the links.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:37 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pbarranger67
I had a small heart attack when a Bronco cut me off driving it at 50mph. I believe it is time to upgrade to discs in the front.
Changing to discs will not improve this. The drums stop almost identically to the discs. Now, if several Broncos cut you off, the drums will be a bit faded by the third one, and discs would still be OK.

Even discs have limits. The SVO had huge 4-wheel discs, and after a few laps on a race track they won't cut it.

You need to choose brakes based on the type of driving you do. A lotta people change to discs when what they really need is power boost on their drums.

If you drive in the mountains, or just crazy like I do, get discs. Manual discs are harder than drums, so if you don't like a hard pedal, get power boost, too.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:57 PM
super6wheelman
2nd Gear Member

I swapped the drums in my 65 mustang over to SSBC power disc brakes which were very affordable. $1,200 everything was included. High quality parts and materials, the big 4 piston calipers came powder coated and is a grat bang for the buck.

The stopping power of disc is night and day compared to drums

http://www.ssbrakes.com/commerce/det....cfm?nPID=8890

Quick Reply: Drums to Disc '67