Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

66 Mustang Coupe (6 Cyl)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 06:36 AM
6CylAtTinker

Default 66 Mustang Coupe (6 Cyl)

Hows it going? Just picked me up a 66 coupe (6 cyl) from a Colonel here at Tinker AFB. The car is in really great shape and i have been pondering on things to do. I've decided i am going to stick with the 6 cyl, seeing that it is the original engine and runs great. I want to try and beef it up a bit and get it to have a show look also. The only problem is, i'm having a bit of trouble finding any kind of performance parts for a straight six. I've been reading up on the forums and i will be looking for ideas so if you have any suggestions please feel free to leave them by all means. Anyway thanx for the help. I'll post a picture as soon as i get out today with my camera.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 66 Mustang Coupe (6 Cyl)

Welcome to the forum!! You should have some real fun with your new toy.
Here is a great forum for straight six information. You'd probably never guess the name though

http://fordsix.com/

I think Ford was "optomistic" about 120 horse power. As I've stated in previous threads it's more like 120 Hamster Power.
However there are guys getting over 700hp out of this engine. It's built like a tank and has a fairly short stroke so it can rev pretty quickly.
My first stop would be a dual bowl master cylinder, then maybe some disk brakes up front, a 3 point seat belt system and a colapsable steering column (like the later models have), and a nice set of newer style bucket seats that have proper head rests.

As for the engine, Ford came out with a "Sprint Package" for the 6 cylinder due to sluggish 6 cylinder sales. Had a chrome air cleaner, some "Sprint" stickers (stickers always make a car go faster) and some other odds and ends. All stuff is available aftermarket.

I'm not a fan of Chrome valve covers as they tend to trap heat. Finned aluminum looks nice, leaks less and cools better.

Any way, go check out the Ford Six forum. Lot's of cool stuff to do on a 6 cylinder.

Have fun!
Old 07-06-2005, 02:53 PM
6CylAtTinker

Lol thank you for the great info... i think i'll begin searching right away. Lol its kind of like that video, along with the stickers, i'll add some subs to give my car that extra boost! Anyway thanks again and i'm glad to be a member.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, the Sprint package also had spinner hub caps and a center console. Like Scott said, that site will give you more information about how to heat up that 6 than you can dream about. That 6 banger has a pretty weak rear in it if you heat the engine up too much though. So, consider a balance of engine HP, tranny and rear when you are putting a package together.