Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Finding an 8" 3rd member???

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 02:07 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Default Finding an 8" 3rd member???

Is it worth it to look in junkyards? I would like something other than my current 3.00. Would a 3.55 seem like a good compromise with a mild 302 and 4spd manual?
I have seen some trac-loc's on ebay that are $650-850.
What are the chances of finding the ratio I want in an original trac-loc in the wrecking yard? Would I have to have it rebuilt anyway?

I have looked at swapping the 8" for an 8.8", but I don't think I have the garage space or know-how to do that without too much frustration.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:44 PM
jimmy428
2nd Gear Member

getting increasingly harder my friend. i say save the trouble and go ebay. most likely you will not find an original trac lock with that ratio. mabey a few open rears here and there unless the salvage yard saved some and put them on shelves. but doubtful. i found a guy in PA that sold me one completely redone for 500. you can have it done any way you want it. all he deals with is 8" if i remember correctly. he is having trouble finding rears himself. hell, pickings are slim at carlisle even. anyways, rears from a salvage yard most likely have to be rebuilt, unless some chance that the owner took care of the car and it hasn't been in the yard too long. save yourself the hassle. buy new and stick her in. be done with as little strain on your part to keep a little sanity. my 2 cents.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:45 PM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

the chances of finding a 8"trac lock in a yard are slim to none at best! i recently went through this with my 65 fastback, yea trac lock units are expensive to say the least, so whats a budget oriented guy to do? well i bought a mini spool and 3:55 gear set off of summit and it works extremely well, my fastback has a fairly stock 351w with a c4. yes on tight turns the rear tires will squeel a little, but normal driving youd never know there is a spool back there until you stab the throttle and see 2 solid tire tracks behind ya! and it set me back 140.00 for the gear set, and 40 bucks for the spool, i set it up myself so i saved a chunk of change this way, but if you take your 3rd member to a shop it shouldnt cost ya much to have them install a set of gears and a spool. as i said before you will notice some tire dragging on tight turns, hell the detroit locker i had in a 9" in my old 68 chirped also in turns and clicked and banged and carried on and i swore id never use one again.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:10 PM
jimmy428
2nd Gear Member

my trac lock was doing exactly what you said until i put some red line differential gear oil modifier/break in additive. man what a difference. not a spot of ratcheting, squealing, or tightness, even around the tightest turns.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:22 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimmy428
getting increasingly harder my friend. i say save the trouble and go ebay. most likely you will not find an original trac lock with that ratio. mabey a few open rears here and there unless the salvage yard saved some and put them on shelves. but doubtful. i found a guy in PA that sold me one completely redone for 500. you can have it done any way you want it. all he deals with is 8" if i remember correctly. he is having trouble finding rears himself. hell, pickings are slim at carlisle even. anyways, rears from a salvage yard most likely have to be rebuilt, unless some chance that the owner took care of the car and it hasn't been in the yard too long. save yourself the hassle. buy new and stick her in. be done with as little strain on your part to keep a little sanity. my 2 cents.
Where abouts in PA? I don't mind driving to pick it up.
And thanks to both of you for the advice.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:25 AM
gwb16
2nd Gear Member

Scoot - I bought my T-Loc unit and the Yukon bearing kit from these guys, the total was $445.---> http://completeoffroad.com/
I bought my 4.11 gears off of eBay. Took me about 4 hours total to install the bearings and gears and to get my backlash all set. I had access to a press so it was a bit easier to work on it.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:30 AM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gwb16
Scoot - I bought my T-Loc unit and the Yukon bearing kit from these guys, the total was $445.---> http://completeoffroad.com/
I bought my 4.11 gears off of eBay. Took me about 4 hours total to install the bearings and gears and to get my backlash all set. I had access to a press so it was a bit easier to work on it.
Thanks, I just saw on Two Guys Garage where they heated the bearings on a griddle and then installed them. I wonder if it really works.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:03 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

I am thinking about doing the same thing. However that link above is for a 9" trac loc. i sent them an email to see if they carry the 8".
Old 08-13-2009, 10:09 AM
gwb16
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MonsterBilly
I am thinking about doing the same thing. However that link above is for a 9" trac loc. i sent them an email to see if they carry the 8".
I bought the 8" from them about 4 months ago...I NEED to find the paperwork, I've got the sales receipt laying around SOMEWHERE...unless the old lady put in in the round file...not out of the realm of possibilities!
Old 08-13-2009, 10:23 AM
gwb16
2nd Gear Member

FOUND IT!!! Online banking is AWESOME!!!!

Here's the link to the correct website!
http://www.quickperformance.com/ telephone # is 515-232-0126

I knew I could find it!!! LOL! Great friendly service also!

EDIT: Total price including shipping was $415!!!

Last edited by gwb16; 08-13-2009 at 10:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Finding an 8" 3rd member???