Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 08-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 67 Ford Mustang
Default Header bolt torque specs

I'm using Stage 8 locking header bolts with JBA headers into Edelbrock RPM aluminum heads. No specs came with the Stage 8 bolts or Edelbrock heads for the header bolts.

JBA's instruction guide says 23 Lbs/In. Now thats just insane as I can tighten by finger more than that! It just can't be right.

What torque should be used for my headers?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Sequential Tail Lights, Power Windows & Locks, Rear Window Defrost, Heated Seats....
Oct 2009 Mustang Forums ROTM Winner!
Adrenolin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: '69 Mustang Mach1

If you use ARP moly lube or anti-seize, 23lbs is pretty stout. I have to call BS on being able to hand tighten to 23lbs . Get a good torque wrench. I just installed my intake at 20lbs with my new electronic Craftsman 3/8 10-120lbs wrench and was shocked how stout 20lbs was. Keep in mind too that you are tightening a small bolt into aluminum so do not want to strip them.

"Yeah, were runnin a little bit hot tonight. I can barely see the road from the heat comin' off of it." Van Halen
12.20sec 1/4mi @ 115.50mph
http://www.hardtohandleracing.com
urban_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 67 Mustang Coupe

He said in-lbs, not ft-lbs. 23 in-lbs is only about 2 ft-lbs. I still doubt you could tighten them finger tight to 2 ft-lbs. I use anti-seize and a combination wrench(it's all that fits) and get them rather hand tight. Use Fel Pro 1415 header gaskets and make sure the mating surface on the header flange is straight, hand tighten with a wrench and they should not come loose.

Untested 331, lots of suspension, chewing up corners.
67mustang302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: '69 Mustang Mach1

My mistake...23 inch*lbs is very little. I always just get it good and tight with a 1/4 or maybe 3/8 drive wrench. It does not need to be super tight, just enough to not leak and the wire. It may be 7-10ft*lbs but I never have put a torque wrench on the header bolts. If they are leaky, I hit them a little more.

"Yeah, were runnin a little bit hot tonight. I can barely see the road from the heat comin' off of it." Van Halen
12.20sec 1/4mi @ 115.50mph
http://www.hardtohandleracing.com
urban_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:39 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2005, 351, 351w, bolt, bolts, exchast, exhaust, ford, header, headers, mustang, specs, svo, torque, v6