Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Click when turning ignition switch on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Default Click when turning ignition switch on?

I'm trying to start my car after the top end rebuild and when I turn the key, I get a click and nothing else.

I can crank the engine by jumping the positive battery connection to the S connection on the starter relay.

I just replaced the starter relay and got the same noise, so that must not be the problem.

What could be the problem? The starter? ignition switch?
Old 08-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Check to see what you have for voltage on the "out" side of relay, and at the starter. Sounds like just a bad connection.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Flash70
2nd Gear Member

Canary could you please post when you figure out the problem or message me. I can not even get a click. It is that bad. I am not electrical savvy in the least.

Was going to start my own thread but see if I can find my answer in this one.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Flash70, go ahead and start your own thread and I'll help you there, since getting no click can be a much different problem than what I am having.

I will post if I can figure this out.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Flash, if you don't even get a click, you need to trace the wires thru the neutral switch. (do you have an auto?)

Canary, after rereading that, you seem to be getting less than 12v at the "S" term. Check that connector. Also the one at the switch, if it is good. If you get the click, the circuit is there, just weak.

Last edited by Stepman; 08-14-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Stepman, I am not very familiar with wiring or testing, so how would I check to see if the S term or connector at the switch are working?
Old 08-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

This is so much easier with the car in front of me but...do you have a volt meter?

You said that by "jumping" to the S term, you can make it crank. This tells you that the circuit to the starter and the ground (all of the large cables) are good.

When you turn the key, you get a click. This says that the switch side of the circuit is "complete". Otherwise, you wouldn't hear a click.

If you combine those two, you are not getting a full batt voltage thru the S wire. Most likely cause is that a connector is in the proceess of breaking. If you have a volt meter, hook the neg to ground and probe the S wire at the relay. You should see batt volt. If not, find the same wire on the ignition switch and see if you have it there. If you see good power there, then the problem is in between. Look at the connections real close...wiggle them, see if one is "just hanging on".

Also, if this is an auto trans, it mayy just be that the neutral switch is a bit off. Or there may be a bad connection there.

Hope that didn't get too confusing. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Thank you so much Stepman.

Yes, I have a voltmeter.

When the ignition switch is on, I get 5 volts between the S terminal stud and the negative battery terminal.

Also, the clicking I am getting is actually from the voltage regulator (i thought it was the ignition relay). Is this a sign of the problem?
Old 08-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Flash70
2nd Gear Member

Okay started my own thread. Thanks Canary. And check Stepman. Will do in a little even though it is getting late.
Thanks
Old 08-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Canary94GT
Thank you so much Stepman.

Yes, I have a voltmeter.

When the ignition switch is on, I get 5 volts between the S terminal stud and the negative battery terminal.

Also, the clicking I am getting is actually from the voltage regulator (i thought it was the ignition relay). Is this a sign of the problem?
Yes, that is your problem. You should be getting somewhere around 12v on the S wire. Look at your connections.

Most likely, at the switch.

Quick Reply: Click when turning ignition switch on?