Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Dumb Quetsions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 07:05 PM
tmerchant66

Default Dumb Quetsions

Hello everyone, I'm definitely new to this so here goes, bare with me. I just bought a 66 coupe with a straight 6cyl. AT I've been tearing down, etc. to restore interior, engine compartment, undercarriage, etc. before I send it off to Paint. My question is I can't get the stubborn qtr panel ornaments off the body. I go through the back window and I see a space to get to 2 nuts and undo those but the things still on there. Is there more nuts I can't reach, because the other 2 fingers that stick out are like they have nuts for them 2 but there is no way to get there through the window unless I remove all the window works. Also having trouble figuring out how the outside door handles come off. Is there and easy way to do this or is it just not worth to remove before painting. One more ? Wear in the hell do you jack these cars up with a floor jack? Whats the best place to do this and then where do you put jack stands. Thanks, sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm a newbie to this.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Dumb Quetsions

Welcome to the MF classic site. Regarding the rear quarter panel ornaments, I think you may be referring to the scoops. You are going to need to take the rear quarter pasnel off anyway to get it painted right, so just do that and tap it out. You can also take out the inner fender to get to it, but that is a lot trouble. You jack up the car right behind the front wheels and right in front of the back wheels where you have a frame rail. Place at least 4 stands on those frame rails near where you jack it up. Put a couple more in the middle of the car on the frame rails. You can get the door handles off by taking off the inside door panel and roll the window so you can get to it. Good luck with her, and again....welcome to the site.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:45 PM
Jinxed67Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Dumb Quetsions

WeLcOmE!
Think Glen covered all the bases for yas. Enjoy and Gluck.[sm=americanasmiley.gif]