Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Switching from a holley to edelbrock carb.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 04:55 PM
blue 67 coupe
2nd Gear Member

Default Switching from a holley to edelbrock carb.

I am getting pretty tired of the holley thats on it and its still causing problems and I almost have enough saved up for a new edelbrock 600.

But while looking on summits website I noticed it said the edelbrocks secondaries were air valve. My current holley is vaccum is there a difference in those. Or would the edelbrock just be a drop in replacement or would I have to get something for the air valve.
Also one of my friends told me I could go to a 650 with the 289 but would that be too big for the stock heads and cam. Because a family member told me a 600 would be perfect for the motor.
Thanks
Old 08-24-2009, 05:00 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

What kind of holley are you running? I have an edelbrock 600 on my 66 and wish I had a holley for it.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:02 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

600 is fine for stockish 289. the holley vac secondary work in such a way that the vacuum works against a spring and if high vacuum it doesn't allow the secondary butterfly to open.
on a edlebrock the secondary opens with the throttle position, but on top there's a butterfly that only opens when necessary.
download the owners manual for the carb you want to purchase and it'll tell you exactly how it works.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:11 PM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

a 600 eddy carb would work well on a stock 289, eddys do have better driveability due to metering rods instead of pv like on the holley. metering of fuel is much more precise. just be careful the eddy carb has a throttle lever that hangs down pretty damn low causing interference on certain manifolds, you "may" need to run a carb spacer for it to clear. also youll have to extend your existing fuel line as the eddy carb fuel inlet is on the right side towards the rear. other than that there an "ok" carb. im sure youll notice a drop in performance though, a properly tuned holley will run rings around an eddy carb.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:33 PM
blue 67 coupe
2nd Gear Member

67t5ponycoupe: It's a holley 600 electric choke
wrenchturner75: I have heard that the tuned holley runs better than the edelbrock its just I can't get it tuned right. Plus its my daily driver so I just need it to run better it doesn't have to be alot faster...yet. Also I have a 1 inch carb spacer but couldn't put it on due to the holley being too tall for the hood. Would I have a clearance problem with the edelbrock air gap intake?
Thanks
Old 08-24-2009, 05:50 PM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

no if you have the air gap intake the eddy will bolt right on it no problems. if your asking if you can run the eddy carb with a carb spacer on an air gap intake and it fit under the hood ,maybe just maybe with a drop base air cleaner but its gonna be tight!
Old 08-24-2009, 05:54 PM
blue 67 coupe
2nd Gear Member

Ya because when I took my holley off I put the carb spacer down and the threads for the carb to bolt down on weren't long enough.

But I got to thinking and with the edelbrock I could just put the spacer and where the top of the carb where the filter bolts on to I could line it up and drill a small hole under the hood scoop and run it without the air cleaner. Then I would still get the added hp from the spacer but I don't think it would be worth it. I'm not sure how bad it would be to run the carb without the cleaner (I have seen people do it) but would it still be ok to do it that way?
Old 08-24-2009, 06:48 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blue 67 coupe
Ya because when I took my holley off I put the carb spacer down and the threads for the carb to bolt down on weren't long enough.
These studs are available in many lengths.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:04 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Don't run it without the air cleaner for daily driving. At the strip it's ok once in awhile but not for everyday.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:13 PM
blue 67 coupe
2nd Gear Member

Well I took the jump to the edelbrock. Found a nice one on summit its a edelbrock 600 electric choke. But instead of new I found a remanufactured one that is basically rebuilt by edelbrock. But the best part instead of the average $270+ it was $236 with shipping. Hoping it will get here sometime this week and then I should have my good daily driver back.
Hopefully the spacer will be able to fit with the air cleaner still on but I guess I will find out soon.
Stock photo but it will be the silver color and basically look just like it.

Last edited by blue 67 coupe; 08-24-2009 at 11:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Switching from a holley to edelbrock carb.