Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Will a 90amp welder work for body repairs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 01:16 PM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

Default Will a 90amp welder work for body repairs?

Will a 110v 90amp, flux core, wire feed welder (no gas) work for sheet metal on a car body? Just about anything above that requires a 220v line and since we don't have one, it would cost a fortune to get an electrician to install one in our home.
I remember in High School shop class that it wouldn't work on much more than the thinnest sheet metal. Maybe that's enough? I plan on replacing most of the floor pan and repair a leak problem in the cowl. No heavy metal, just the body sheet metal.
I notice the major autoparts stores around here sell a cheap one (not what I would get) that is only 90 amp at 110 volts. So it has me thinking it might work. If not, they have been selling a useless piece of equipment to DIY mechanics.
Will it work? Or should I invest in a more powerful system and pay an electrician to convert my house to accept a 220 volt line?
Old 09-07-2009, 01:52 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

My Lincoln ProCore 120 flux core will weld 1/4" plate with multi-pass, 110v. Your problem though isn't going to be not enough welder, it may be too much welder. Flux core has excellent penetration, about twice as much as MIG of the same voltage. Flux core is also less forgiving, and it's hard to weld thin metals since it will blow through very easily. The gauge of sheet metal used on the body panels is relatively small for a flux core welder, so you'll have to turn it down if you don't want a lot of holes.

Basically a flux core 110v welder will work about as well in terms of metal thickness you can weld as a 220v MIG. I weld 1/8" stuff all the time with mine on single pass.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:00 PM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
The gauge of sheet metal used on the body panels is relatively small for a flux core welder, so you'll have to turn it down if you don't want a lot of holes.
I haven't seen any with a variable amp setting, that would be nice option. The one I am looking at is a 60 or 90 amp setting. So the 60 amp may be able to handle it with the right wire selection? you think they might handle exhaust pipes as well?
Thank you!
Old 09-07-2009, 04:05 PM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

I have a 110 as well and it works just fine for body work and other such repairs. It should be able to handle exhaust just fine as well. I re-did my entire exhaust for my truck with it and it's still holding strong. What brand/model welder? Mine's the Lincoln Electric Pro Core 125 Welder.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:45 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I bet you have a 220 V plug.... your dryer (elec stove also).

Easy enough to rig up an extension cord with the right ends...
Old 09-07-2009, 06:34 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MetalEd
I haven't seen any with a variable amp setting, that would be nice option.
You haven't been looking hard enough. You can get a nice 140 amp Mig welder that runs on 110v with multy amp settings all day long at Lowe's and Home depot for around $550.

You can also run the electric wire from your breaker box to were you want it, attach it to 220 socket and just have the electrician tap into the box and it would only cost you the $$$ for the parts and his time to hook in the fuse box.

Lynn
Old 09-07-2009, 07:23 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't mess with MIG unless you have a shop. You'll have to rent gas bottles and if you weld outside with a breeze you risk your shielding gas blowing away, then you'll get contaminated welds. And like I said flux core will get about 2x the penetration for the same voltage power source.

My Lincoln isn't even top of the line for 110 but it has 1-10 for wire feed speed and 5 power settings. On body work with thin sheet metal just turn the machine down and be careful, but it will work great.

And don't hook up welders to long extension cords, I wouldn't use more than 20ft. You lose power to the welder that way and on bigger metal it can be hard to get enough heat.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:46 AM
photocliff
2nd Gear Member

Search the web. There are some great deals on the internet. Just gotta look around. I have been using the flux wire in mine and it;s true. You have to be carfuel to not blow through It takes practice.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:53 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I HAVE to say, if you can afford gas buy a gas welder, if you can afford a 220V buy a 220.

My Millermattic 180 will work on 110 as well as 220, although I have never tried it, it IS a DUAL VOLTAGE machine.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:00 AM
mortman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
I HAVE to say, if you can afford gas buy a gas welder, if you can afford a 220V buy a 220.

My Millermattic 180 will work on 110 as well as 220, although I have never tried it, it IS a DUAL VOLTAGE machine.
The Millermatic 180 is strictly 220, if your looking for versatility you want to look at the MM211, MM DVI2 or the passport. Personaly i have the MM140, used it all weekend welding 22 gauge using Flux Cored wire. Although i did have burn through issues its a great alternative for welding in the wind

Quick Reply: Will a 90amp welder work for body repairs?