Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #11
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 67 and 08 Mustang

Sorry,but driveshaft angle DOES matter. It comes into the total called "working angle." It's more important on a lower car. If you tranny is down 2.5 in the back, and the car is lowered, the rear end will higher in the car, which means the driveshaft will have to be about level. So since the tranny goes down, and the driveshaft doesn't continue down at the same angle, you put more "working angle" in the u-joint. Exceeding working angle even if the angles are parallel. The aussie has excellent points.Axle run out is another good one that feels like driveshaft problems.The 69 we're building has a very low number on the tilt because of working angle. The faster the driveshaft turns, the less angle you want. 3.5 deg, I think the max is 4k drivesaft speed.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 09-08-2009, 04:23 PM   #12
kalli
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1964, Ford, Mustang

ya. you're right. i'm wrong. with a tailshaft of 2 down and DS of 2 down as well that u-joint is straight and the rear one is not. that has to vibrate.

but still, pinion needs to come up a bit
CSRP disc brakes front and FRPP discs back.
http://www.gascc.ie

kalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #13
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

The drive shaft is a steel 3.5" i think,maybe 3". We bought it through American driveline, the only thing that puzzles me is that it only has weight tabs on one end of the DS. ALl other DS if looked at around the house has one on both ends. But getting the DS down to get balanced tommarrow, but they say they can only balance to 2400rpms, they said that is all anyone can balance it to, is that correct?

The car has a grab-a-track 5 leafspring in the rear, with track bars. SO i dont think much axle wrap is happening, plus the car is putting 584hp to the flywheel, and 540 tq.

cprstreetmachine you exactly correct about it getting above the trans, giving the DS a positive angle. Thats why i suggested the 9", giving the pinion a lower stance for adjustments.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #14
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1966 2+2

i'm not sure about their balancer speed but there are balancers that run at actual speed. the harmonic thing is a calculation that the DS guys would know about even if they cant balance at high revs.

did you think about engine speed when the vibe starts and does it pass or get worse?
Aussie66Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #15
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1966 2+2

gold! see the second half on critical speed and see if any makes sense or exactly half critical speed matches the engine revs you experienced the problem at.

http://www.markwilliams.com/driveshafttech.aspx
Aussie66Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #16
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalli View Post
ya. you're right. i'm wrong. with a tailshaft of 2 down and DS of 2 down as well that u-joint is straight and the rear one is not. that has to vibrate.

but still, pinion needs to come up a bit
Sorry, wasn't picking on you Kali. Just wanted to make it clear. Especially for guys doing swaps like T56 under a stock tunnel. You may be able to get the angles equal and opposite, but the working angle will be horrible, and can still vibrate.

Awesome link Aussie, thanx. Tagging that one,too.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:36 PM   #17
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 66 coupe

One quik thing Kalli

You said that as a car accellerates the rear end will rotate down.. Are you sure? as the tires rotate forward the housing should rotate up! equal and opposite reaction to the forward movement of the tires.
66 coupe, Tuff Dawg forged 10.5:1 - 331, T5, TRick Flow heads, Stealth Intake, Holley 670 Street Avenger, Centerforce Clutch, Headman Headers, Ford Motorsports E303 Cam, 8.8 explorer rear end .373 gears, Cobra 4 wheel disc brakes, 17" TT2's
MonsterBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:59 PM   #18
Gun Jam

Send a message via ICQ to Gun Jam Send a message via AIM to Gun Jam Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Jam

The housing does rotate up...and yeah Kalli does know that

-Gun

Masters of Industrial Technology intelligence thats why I own guns made to drop elephants.
Gun Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:00 AM   #19
kalli
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1964, Ford, Mustang

CPR and Monster: no offense taken anyone. Didn't mean to sound snappy. I deserve to be slapped around for what I've said above :-)
CSRP disc brakes front and FRPP discs back.
http://www.gascc.ie

kalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:47 AM   #20
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalli View Post
Didn't mean to sound snappy.
No, didn't think that. Just didn't want you thinking I was picking on ya.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:47 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1999, 2005, 9, angle, body, cobra, ford, fox, gear, inch, make, mustang, noise, pinion, set