Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-09-2009, 08:59 PM   #21
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the info fellas, The father in law got the driveshaft re-balanced today, and they mad on adjustment on the side that didnt have any weights on it.

Was just wondering, been told that if you have no change in the angle between the trans DS, and pinion, than its bad. Say we move the pinion up to 2.5*, and the trans, DS and pinon bot read ot to 2.5*. From what im understanding from what the guy said, this is the worst thing to have. Doesnt make since to me but does anyone actually know the answer?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #22
Gun Jam

Send a message via ICQ to Gun Jam Send a message via AIM to Gun Jam Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Jam

Yes that's true...having 0 deg at the U-joint (dead center with either the trans or rear end) is indeed bad....Why? because the needle bearings are not able to spin. You should shoot for 1/2 to 3/4 deg minimum difference between DS and trans/ rear

-Gun

Masters of Industrial Technology intelligence thats why I own guns made to drop elephants.
Gun Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #23
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

thanks for the answer, it actully makes sense now that you say it. lol
Old 09-10-2009, 05:03 AM   #24
coolhnd9
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1968 Ford Mustang

Is it better now?

For some reason, I've developed a big exhaust leak on the right side of my car..... I'm pretty sure you were riding on that side! LOL

68 Fastback "J" code - Some bolt-ons under the hood, backed up by a T56 and built 9"
04 GT Daily Fo...6 5 spd
coolhnd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #25
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhnd9 View Post
Is it better now?

For some reason, I've developed a big exhaust leak on the right side of my car..... I'm pretty sure you were riding on that side! LOL
What you sayin, lol Not my fault you went old school "bullit"style on me, lol

But yep the BVD balanced the DS and i just got the phone call from chad that its almost completely gone. BVD had to put a huge weight on the rear end were there wasnt a weight.

Going outta town for the weekend to go visit family, But we might swing by temple's track tommarrow night. Ill call you sunday to see whats up, maybe we can go for a mini cruise.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!!
Old 09-11-2009, 01:11 AM   #26
Gun Jam

Send a message via ICQ to Gun Jam Send a message via AIM to Gun Jam Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Jam

Please let me know if the weight solved the issue..

Masters of Industrial Technology intelligence thats why I own guns made to drop elephants.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:12 AM   #27
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

Havnt gotto takea rifde in it yet, but the father-in-law said he got it to 105-110 without any vibrations yet. Thats on a closed course in mexico=). Thats with an open 2.78 hear

Thinking about putting 3.80s in it, instead of the 4.11s the locker has on the other third member. Ill let yall know for sure only we get some lower gears in it and see how it turns out. thanks
Old 09-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #28
Gun Jam

Well it sounds like it fixed the problem if it was bad at 90 and now totally smooth at 110.

You gotta answer all these questions for me as best you can!

1) When the vibration started where did you feel it from first? Where did you hear it from?
2) Would the vibration get worse exponentially? as in hardly noticeable at 73mph but twice as bad at 76mph and again twice at 79....By 83mph it felt like something was about to grenade??
3) Would the vibration get worse momentarily when you backed off the gas?
4) what speed did they balance the DS?

Thanks

-Gun

Old 09-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #29
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

Ill double check with the father-in law but heres my best description, lol

When we had the 4.11s in with the locker it would come in at around 63 and double in short speed changes, itwas bangin pretty hard at 70. never got it past 75, the dash and everything started jumping. With the 2.78s with the open diff, it was the same type and everything, except now it came in at around 84ish, and was hard at 90.

And yes when you decelerated it would get worse for around 5mph or so speed drop, then it would level off.

The shop that balanced it said the highest they could spin balance it was 2400 on their machine, the way he talk he said thats as fast as any shop can do it, but not real sure.

hope this helps
Old 09-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #30
Gun Jam

Did the sound seem to come from the shifter handle? Did the shifter handle vibrate with a profound high speed vibration?

-Gun

Old 09-11-2009, 05:30 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1999, 2005, 9, angle, body, cobra, ford, fox, gear, inch, make, mustang, noise, pinion, set