Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Sequential Tail Lights Incandescent

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 07:10 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Smile Sequential Tail Lights Incandescent

I would like to get these for my Mustang. Does anyone have this setup on theirs? I'm curious if there is a video of them on someones car too. All I see on you tube is the LED ones and none of 65-66. I have seen these in person a little while ago. I also don't really want the LED ones. I'm trying to keep my car "old school". I also don't like how the LED ones operate. There isn't a fluid flow to them. They also don't allow the tail light to stay illuminated when the turn signal on that side is flashing. So, it goes completely dark. I don't like that. I like how the old Cougar and Thunderbird ones look much better. Thoughts.

http://www.laurelmountainmustang.com/index-1024.htm

http://www.laurelmountainmustang.com...illightkit.jpg

Last edited by tx65coupe; 09-10-2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:34 AM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

I believe they can get hot and warp the lens, but I don't if it's that is the case with that particular set.
I can say that I went with the sequential LED's and love them. Nothing like technology to make things more reliable and safe.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:13 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Those are electronic versions of the old mechanical ones. They also come with better lenses.

I just think the flash sequence looks better with indandescant than the LED. ALso will you look at yours with the tail lights on and see if the tail light on the side that the blinker is on stays on in between blinks? The Mustang Project ones I was considering seem go dark in between blinks when the tails are on. I don't like that. The stock lights stay illuminated either dim or bright and don't go completely off during night time use.

Which ones do you have? Do you have a video of them?

Last edited by tx65coupe; 09-10-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:18 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Watch how the incadescent looks on the Cougar. I just think it looks better. I guess its because the LEDs are basically instant on and instant off. I like the flow of the indancescent. Also the tail light stays on when the blinker flashes off. The LED I don't think does that. At least the videos I have seen don't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdPD8...eature=related

Last edited by tx65coupe; 09-10-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:21 PM
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

I got my LED Sequential from Va Classic Mustang. I think they have a video on the site. You may want to look at that. I have never paid attention to whether they go dark or not when on.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:37 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

There wasn't a video on thier site that I could find.

Its weird most of the sequential stuff I found on you tube is late model. There were a few LED sequential for 67-68 or 69-70 but not one for 65-66. I have no idea why.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:49 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

I will check mine and you have valid points about the flow. I like how bright the LED's are and how when I now put my turn signal on followed by my brakes I don't see people zooming up on me.

I will take a look at mine and report back.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:59 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

That would be great. Whose LED kit do you have?

If I go LED, I was thinking about Mustang Project since they offer lifetime warranty and they are only 20 miles from me.

The increased visibilty is 50% of my reason for wanting to go with sequential, and the other 50% is just the coolness factor.

Either sequential setup will be brighter so that will definitely keep the people from flying up on my bumper like you mentioned.

The other thing I like about the indadescent is that when the brakes are on they sequence once before staying on. I don't think the LED kits do that.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 09-10-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:44 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

I know from experience that the stock sequential stuff isnt the greatest. In the 80s I was scouring junkyards for T birds and Cougars to find parts that worked, then they would for a week, or a day, or not at all. Modern stuff is much more reliable. Eventually I will go with LEDs on the Cougar.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:55 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

www.mustangproject.com

I got mine from there, the 5x bright LED's, and love them.

I believe the do go dark in between blinks, but it makes sense because the super bright light is supposed to be only when you're breaking, its a running light otherwise.

If I recall its dark, then one lit, then two, then three. The other side stays lit of course.

I have to look at it again though, I just know I love them, mainly because of how bright they are. My old single bulb lights would barely illuminate, and I highly doubt anyone could see my brake lights in the day time. Now I know they can so I feel better about that.

Quick Reply: Sequential Tail Lights Incandescent