Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Road trip.. going home

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Default Road trip.. going home

Well the car is almost done. Its my 2010 67 Mustang fresh from the ground up. Still hasn't seen the road yet as I'm having clutch issues which will be resolved this week. Should be on the road by weeks end with only small things to finish up. Hopefully I'll make it to one of the local car shows next weekend.

Sometime around Oct 7th we'll me making the trip from Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada back to New Jersey.. a 1000 mile trip! Planning on 3 to 4 days and not beating it too hard since I doubt it'll have more than 1000 miles on it before we leave. I'll have some general tools with us and we'll be taking the Explorer along taking turns driving each.

Any suggestions on things to do beforehand or special items we should have along with us? Other than a prayer to the car gods for good driving?

I'll be posting pics later this week once the front end fenders, etc have been reinstalled. Currently in having the front/rear windows installed, 50% tint all around and black vinyl roof installed.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-23-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:16 AM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

Hi,

Great idea to have a road trip in a classic Mustang! I just did San Francisco to NYC with my dad in my 67 and it was great!

You can see some pics here: https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...e-mustang.html

Make sure you don't have any leak and enjoy the trip. We are lucky people, you won't see that many nice cars on your way!
Old 09-13-2009, 04:35 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

when Remi went he asked the very same question, there was a lot of good ides in that thread. can't find it though. water bypass hose for heater, coil ... etc
Old 09-13-2009, 05:00 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

I'm doing a small road trip on monday, a little over 200 miles up to San Luis Obispo. I still need to buy a roll of duck tape, bailing wire sounds like a good idea as well. I already have a tool box, an extra belt, fuses, coolant, and oil, but I should probably throw some extra hoses in there as well
Old 09-13-2009, 06:39 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

If you have it make sure your AAA Membership is up to date. Also if you have the option make sure it's the plus. I had to use it on my classic truck when I drove it from Moorehead, MN to Birmingham, AL. I was about 20 miles from home when the truck started overheating and almost all the coolant had evaporated due to the thermostat sticking.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes. I hope to do this someday from Birmingham to Texas when I get a few more things done.

Last edited by 69FB; 09-13-2009 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:47 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

Oh yeah just to let you all know it was the first time seeing much less driving that truck. I the bed of the truck was full of stuff. I did not think to take a gallon of antifreeze/water mix, but I did watch the gauges like a hawk.

New Thermostat and it was as good as new.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:38 AM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I always bring my socket set and jumper cables.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the ideas. I currently have a complete set of sockets/wrenches & general tools, duct tape, coil, solenoid, 50/50 coolant, safety wire, fuses, extra belt, oil, power steering fluid, small compressor & plug kit, 2 cans of Fix-A-Flat, bottle jack, 2 sets of jumper cables, etc. No spare tire/wheel at this point unfortunately.

I like the idea of mapping out some auto parts shops and will do that.

I hope to make a few local 'distance' runs before we have to leave.. 1 to 4 hour trips plus local short runs. I plan on an oil, rad, trany, rear fluid change change at about 500 miles since everything is new. Running Joe Gibbs break-in oil now and again after the 500 mile change. After that likely Rotilla.

Oct 15th - 18th we'll be driving down to Virginia and back in the stang as well.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:47 PM
mdiak47

Good Luck! Sounds fun

Quick Reply: Road trip.. going home