Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Holley 570 carb tuning getting there :-)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 09:16 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Default Holley 570 carb tuning getting there :-)

Hi all,

just to post the progress:
I have adjusted the idlespeed and mixture.
Then I adjusted the accellerator pump cam, I had to change out the cams. Pink/black/orange on #2 wouldn't do. The Blue one finally did the trick. with that in and pump adjusted I have no more lean bog on drive off or after slow gear changes anymore. Happy days.

So I went for a drive, the part throttle is very good power, but on WOT there was a strange thing:
when I revved first to 3000 (driving), held it there and floored it and went from there to 2nd and 3rd WOT it was good power,
But when I for example stomped it from 2000 in 3rd it wouldn't really pickup anywhere in the rpm range (at least til 5000). So i thought I change the secondary spring to a heavier one (from yellow long to purple) and that actually helped with the issue. now it's picking up in 3rd from 2000 way better and is going quicker through the rpms.

So then I completely blocked the secondary (with a cable tie) and cruise is now at 13.5 to 14.2 and WOT at 13.0 to 13.5. Seems good.

When I added my secondary again the mixture would drop to low 12s occasionally. So I went 2 jet sizes smaller in the secondaries and it seems better now on higher rpm WOT.

I have a feeling that I should now retard the ignition at idle by about 2 degrees as I have a faint ping in 2nd and 3rd going up a steep hill on very light accelleration. see where that gets me ....

I'm getting excited as the car is getting where I want it to be.
Next week I'll go for another cruise with the G-Tech. I know nobody cares about this device, but I find it great as it will at least tell you if you are now quicker or not .. For me that thing is repeatable

Kalli