Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Fog Lights in a 1966

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 05:20 PM
sixtysix
2nd Gear Member

Default Fog Lights in a 1966

I bought a scott drake fog light kit-have some wiring problems
It came with direction but I am lost.

behind the instrument panel near the headlight switch i was suppose to find a 3 prong connector...seperate it and plug the ends into the connector of the new wiring kit.
I dont have this connector

The directions state that some 1966 cars have the 1965 old 2 prong connector...I THINK this is what I have.
the connector is yellow plastic with black wire on one side ...and on the other is red/black wire,a green with another green with a open female plug coming off, and last but not least is a empty female hole.

is this the 2 prong version....can some on tell me how to hook the scott drake wiring kit into this?

also where should I tap into for the power...the power lead has a male end ...is there a open female connector for easy power?
I am lost.....Thanks Scott
Old 09-20-2009, 08:07 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sixtysix
I bought a scott drake fog light kit-have some wiring problems
It came with direction but I am lost.

behind the instrument panel near the headlight switch i was suppose to find a 3 prong connector...seperate it and plug the ends into the connector of the new wiring kit.
I dont have this connector

The directions state that some 1966 cars have the 1965 old 2 prong connector...I THINK this is what I have.
the connector is yellow plastic with black wire on one side ...and on the other is red/black wire,a green with another green with a open female plug coming off, and last but not least is a empty female hole.

is this the 2 prong version....can some on tell me how to hook the scott drake wiring kit into this?

also where should I tap into for the power...the power lead has a male end ...is there a open female connector for easy power?
I am lost.....Thanks Scott
"Supposed"? Who was your vendor? If you had purchased from Glazier Nolan, they would have told you you needed the under-dash fog harness, which is where that plug comes from. The under dash harness gets it's power from a circuit breaker clipped or screwed to the pedal bracket near the wiper motor, which comes with the proper under-dash kit. The breaker gets it's power from the grey wire with black stripe and eye terminal taped to the main harness near the wiper motor. Some 66 wiring lacks this wire, but for those cases the kit comes with such a wire, which gets Scotch-locked (this is how Ford basically did the factory installed grey wire) with the clip in the kit to the fat yellow wire in the main harness. This under-dash harness includes a plug that protrudes through the firewall in a hole you have to drill below the main wiring near the LH hood hinge. GN would have told you that, too.

There is also a wire kit that goes from the firewall plug to the lamps, and includes the ground wires for the lamps.

Did they at least sell you the radiator support grommets?
Old 09-20-2009, 08:10 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Here is a link to a Mustang Monthly article on the subject. http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...hts/index.html And a diagram for the wiring. http://www.kkpony.com/images/66exter...ng-diagram.jpg
The diagram has a wire connected to the starter relay battery terminal and then through a circuit breaker to get power. I would use a pigtail and connect it to the center terminal of the ignition switch. If you don't have the circuit breaker you should get one. It is needed. The only other wire that hooks up to the existing wiring is the black wire the should hook to an empty female connecter coming off of the light switch. You only need to hook that up if you want the tail lights to come on with the fog lights. I would hook it up because it is a nice to have thing. I have done a few 67 which are just about the same as 66's on the fogs and they were fairly easy. If you have more questions come back.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:25 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
I would use a pigtail and connect it to the center terminal of the ignition switch. If you don't have the circuit breaker you should get one. It is needed. The only other wire that hooks up to the existing wiring is the black wire the should hook to an empty female connecter coming off of the light switch. You only need to hook that up if you want the tail lights to come on with the fog lights. I would hook it up because it is a nice to have thing.
Bad idea. The ign spike, which I use for all sorts of accessories, is an accy circuit. Lights should be live all the time, which is why I wire them the way Ford did, it's just too easy to do it right. You're right about the taillight hookup, if it's bad enough to have the fogs on (they are GREAT for driving in the rain at night) the taillight wiring feeds back into the dash and lights the instruments. This, by the way, is why the fog switch is that exotic dual circuit job with triple plug, so you can turn the fogs and tail on with one switch. If you tried that with a single switch, every time you turned on the park or running lights, the fogs would come on.

The kit shown in your first link shows the proper kit I referred to. Everything you need to do a factory correct job is in there, and it's not even expensive.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 09-20-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:33 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

The main stud on the back of the ignition switch is hot all the time and I'm pretty sure that is were the schematic had me wire it up on the last 67 I did. I don't remember going all the way out to the starter solenoid to get power like the 66 Schematic says to.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:59 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Holy cripes! You don't "have to go all the way to the starter solenoid". Ford didn't. There is a large yellow wire bundled in the main harness behind the speedo. Ford tapped into that. The gray wire in the above photo is in case you have a non-fog harness, lacking the gray. The Scotchlock attaches it to the yellow wire.

You are reading that schematic too literally- the wire doesn't go the the solenoid, the circuit does. The gray wire only goes to the yellow wire under the dash, the yellow wire goes to the solenoid.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:22 PM
sixtysix
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the instuctions!
I should be able to get it done!
Scott
Old 09-21-2009, 05:58 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

That sounds more like it. If I had a better memory I wouldn't have to relearn this stuff every time I do it.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:18 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Also, You don't have to connect that one wire to the tail light circuit. I didn't when I put the same type of kit on my 65. Its to turn on the tail lights when you turn the fog lights on. I don't see the point of it, because if you have the fogs on you would have the parking lights or head lights on anyway.

Also, If you don't want to drill a hole in your dash for the switch you can do what I did an put it on the bottom of the dash. There is a hole the correct size a few inches in on the far left side.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 09-22-2009 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:30 PM
rburleso

Default Question about original style fog light harness wiring

I've got a 66 mustang and gave added fog lights. It's got a reproduction original style wiring harness. I've got the lights hooked up to the harness that feeds through the firewall, hooking up to the switch itself. My problem is that I've got a painless performance harness. Their tech people are telling me to use the accessory relay portion of the harness to wire the fog lights. Anybody ever wired the fog light harness up to the painless performance harness? And how did you do it? I'm not a wiring expert so a little direct would help a lot. Thanks

Quick Reply: Fog Lights in a 1966