Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

new headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:25 AM
buckatron5000

Default new headlights?

has anyone done a mod to make the headlights like HID's or atleast bright? my headlights blow, i have to drive with my brights on lol. but i was hopin to see if theres a way to put like HID's in, but 65' headlights are headlamps and to change the light its changing the whole assembly right? what did yall do for brighter headlights? my 65' is also a daily drive, night and day.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:39 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

If you want to improve your headlights get a pair of relays for them first off.

You can go this route.

http://www.midnightdsigns.com/james/headlights.htm

I got this.

http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=8

Secondly get some Sylvania Xtravison bulbs. I think the number is 6024XV. They are much brighter than the regular halogen replacement.

The reason for the relay setup is because it will give more power to the headlights and the factory wiring will not have to carry the load of the lights. The factory wiring and switch was not designed to run halogen lights.

I am very happy with this setup. I also think that it works better than the lights on my F150.

By the way make sure they are aimed properly, that will make a huge difference. Also stay away from the simulated HID bulbs. They are just tinted and actually reduce the amount of light coming out. Even if they don't look tinted the halogen bulb inside the sealed beam is. An example is Silverstar, or any bulb that claims to be whiter.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:41 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I also have a higher amp alternator. I have a 1 wire 100 amp, instead of the stock 60. That will help too.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:14 AM
uibalnme
2nd Gear Member

hehehe...these are what I'm going with...eventually. (they're pretty damned expensive)

7" round, reflector type, bi-zenon, HID's!!!
Old 10-09-2009, 03:24 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

stock mustang headlamps are crap for their type and the wiring.
as said above use them with a relay. if you then change them to 7" H4 bulbs (we have them here quite often as some people with Minis seem to replace those things as well) you'll have a light as in any other 90s car ... works perfect for me.
the headlamps with H4 bulbs are 50$ and it takes 10 mins to swap.
If you need to wire in the relay that's another 5$ for parts and 3 hours work
Old 10-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I swapped some Wagner Bright Light bulbs (equivalent to those Xtravision bulbs) into my fb a while ago and I'm happy with them. I recently re-aimed them (after my front springs have settled a little) and they work great. I don't see any need for an H4 conversion on my car, and I drive it at night quite a bit. I may do the relay conversion at some point in the future, but I think I got lucky in that my stock wiring is in pretty good shape.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:32 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
I swapped some Wagner Bright Light bulbs (equivalent to those Xtravision bulbs) into my fb a while ago and I'm happy with them. I recently re-aimed them (after my front springs have settled a little) and they work great. I don't see any need for an H4 conversion on my car, and I drive it at night quite a bit. I may do the relay conversion at some point in the future, but I think I got lucky in that my stock wiring is in pretty good shape.
taking the stress out of the headlight switch is already worth it I believe.
I just installed H4 because it was so cheap and they fitted perfectly. I haven't wired in the relays (same here, not really needed). It will be a winter project to fight boredom ;-0
Old 10-09-2009, 09:43 AM
blue66mustang
2nd Gear Member

I put in the relay kit and it works great. What I should not have done was put in a set of H4 Tri-Bars. They blow. They are bright, but they dont throw a real good pattern. I really don't drive much at night but will still replace them in the spring.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

In addition to all the great advice above, remember that one of the more popular causes of dim lights is worn out wiring, especially the ground wires. If your car has the orig wiring like most classic Mustangs, it is definitely a contributor to the dimness, regardless of the type of bulbs used.

CP
Old 10-09-2009, 08:25 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

I could barely see my headlights before I did the relay mod. I made a whole new wiring harness for my 4 headlights (2 low 2 high) and it was well worth it, would say there is a 70% increase in brightness for MY lights, it really is quite spectacular... Other might have different results or their stock wiring is fine, but for my car it was well worth the time and effort to make my own harness.

So to the original poster, if your lights really aren't bright enough for you then you might want to do the relay upgrade. You won't be getting full power to the headlights even if you upgrade them to H4's or HIDs if you don't upgrade the harness anyway, so maybe it's in your best interest to start with the relays and then upgrade the headlights. I plan on upgrading my headlights when I run out of major things to do on my car, but for now the stock style ones work just fine with my relay and harness upgrade.

Quick Reply: new headlights?