Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Where to buy suspension parts? + lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:13 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Default Where to buy suspension parts? + lots of questions

I recently made $600 from some people that wanted to use my car in a professional photoshoot () and I want to put some of that back into my car. I am really in the need to order my suspension parts and am almost there so I am wondering if anyone knows the best place to buy them from is as far as price and quality are concerned.

Keep in mind I'm not doing much more than a stock rebuild, with just some improvements. I've make a cart for both mustangs plus and mustangs unlimited so far and the totals before tax/shipping are $592 and $629 respectively (just for front suspension). Are either of these good sources as far as suspension is concerned? I'd probably be looking more into mustangs unlimited since they aren't in california so I won't have to pay tax...

And here is what I'm going to be ordering along with more questions, am I missing anything for the front?
  • 620 lb 1" drop springs
  • spring insulators (poly or rubber?)
  • Roller spring perches
  • Lower Control Arms
  • Upper Control Arms
  • Front sway bar end link kit
  • sway bar frame bushing kit (what size bushings for stock sway bar?)
  • strut rod bushing kit (rubber or poly?)

I'm also going to be doing the shelby drop of course.

Another note is on the MU website for the upper control arms it said the zerk fittings for the ball joints are for show purposes only and that it's a sealed unit, is this right? Is there only supposed to be zerk fittings on the bushings?

And if it says its made by MOOG, should I pay a little more for their stuff over the generic stock replacements?

If anyone can help with these last questions of mine that would be great, I always like hearing second, third, and 10th opinions before I spend a lot of money if possible I just want to get my front suspension nicely finished and safe so I can get a good alignment.

I also need shocks... damn this gets expensive.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:33 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

If the bushings need to be lubed they need a zerk fitting but some used a sealed bearing that's self lubing.For oem stuff i love moog ball joints they are tougher then most.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I'll put in my two cents here, but I'll PM you my # so you can call me tomorrow if you want.

Moog is good stuff, better than the typical Chinese repro crap you're going to find at most parts houses. Not that all the repro stuff is horrible (I'm running M+ UCA's and they're fine), but the Moog will be better quality.

Get rubber upper coil spring insulators. Poly will squeak, and I don't see that as one of the places you'd need poly even if you were willing to risk it. Only use rubber on the strut rods. Poly can and will break your old, worn strut rods.

Also, get yourself a good sway bar. I'm sure yours is thicker than my stock (which was like 5/8" or something stupid small), but I think you'll benefit from a 1" front bar. It shouldn't run you that much more for a sway bar vs frame bushings and end links.

Add an export brace to the list, and consider a monte carlo bar. Both will tie the front end together better to prevent body flex while cornering.

I'll talk to you tomorrow about roller perches. Do NOT order the M+ "rollerized" perches. They're not roller, and I don't know how they get away with putting that in their ad.

I'm not a huge fan of M+. I prefer to deal with Glazier's when possible, although shipping may be prohibitive for all of the stuff you're getting.

I can do an alignment for you when you're all done, although it would most likely have to be on a thursday afternoon. I don't have my new work schedule set up yet, though.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:48 PM
chillininnh
2nd Gear Member

+1^

May I also suggest for "improved" stock suspension pieces, get a hold of John at Opentracker, you'll be glad you did. To do it all and do it up right, $600 clams may leave you short, but you'll be well on your way. Nice Mach bro.

http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/

Last edited by chillininnh; 10-22-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:54 PM
jonward786
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4reboy
I recently made $600 from some people that wanted to use my car in a professional photoshoot
damn you
Old 10-22-2009, 11:03 PM
Timetravelinn
1st Gear Member

I'm with starfury.....why do all that and not upgrade the sway bar to a 1 inch.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jonward786
damn you
I second that. Forgot to put that in the original post.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:05 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

I'll tell you guys about the photoshoot when I see you, one reason why I got behind in school and have been busy the past couple weeks

And thanks for the advice, but I wondered about the rollerized spring perches because it says on the M+ website that it is from opentracker... same price as opentracker as well so maybe they sell the real things now? But based on all of your recommendations I'll probably just stay away from M+ anyway, I wasn't happy with the parking brake bracket I received and they're in california so I don't want tax...

and I did think about upgrading my sway bar but didn't know if it was worth the extra dollars. But I guess the kits for the end links, frame bushings, and the bar are probably only 50 bucks more than just the bushings themselves.

And good to know not to get the poly insulators... I was only thinking it because M+ sells a kit for the springs and the poly insulators for a good price. I hate the squeaking my car does now so I definitely don't want any when it's new.

That would be great if you could do the alignment for me Tad, only problem I see though is I'm thinking about trying to order all the stuff by thanksgiving so I can redo my suspension when I'm at home, so then I would have to get an alignment done down in long beach. I could MAYBE do a rough alignment to limp it up to SLO, I've already done it when I replace my tie rods and idler arm, but with a whole new suspension to do I think its just too many things to go through by "guessing". After replacing the tie rods I only had to adjust the toe I believe and it wasn't that hard.

Thanks for the recommendations so far, I'll keep looking around on more sites to try and get the better deal, but so far I'm leaning towards mustangs unlimited because they have the MOOG stuff for the lower control arms I believe and there's no tax. They just seem to be slightly more expensive and I've never ordered from them before.

Keep the responses coming
Old 10-23-2009, 07:22 AM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

MU has alway been great to me.. dont worry about going with them. fast shippping too
Old 10-23-2009, 03:09 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

I like mustangs unlimited too, plus over $300 gets you free shipping.

Im so jelous of you. If you can go with a roller upper control arm you should probably do that too. I cant wait to see how it works out, because I need to do it too. So keep a list of parts, and a complaint list with it, so us other 69-70 owners know what to get and how it will work out.

Definately go with at least the 1 inch sway bar. My bar was loose for about a year before I realized it and then tightened it down, and then it drove like a different car. Still crappy and loose but way better than before. I had no idea a sway bar made that much difference.

Quick Reply: Where to buy suspension parts? + lots of questions