Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

After market seats or modern take off seats... for 65 Mustang Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:22 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I want a set of these.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SU...2/?image=large

or these

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SC...R/?image=large

Last edited by 1slow67; 11-03-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:35 PM
jc67
1st Gear Member

So, on the Sport Seat like rmodel65 has posted the picture of; do you just use the standard frame and just add the new foam and cover? I would like to use these seats as well. They look like they belong in the classic Mustang even if it is restomoded, especially with standard or deluxe interior.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Piraya33
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jc67
So, on the Sport Seat like rmodel65 has posted the picture of; do you just use the standard frame and just add the new foam and cover? I would like to use these seats as well. They look like they belong in the classic Mustang even if it is restomoded, especially with standard or deluxe interior.
Yes, you are correct. You buy the new seat foams and upholstery and use the stock frame.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Silverblade
2nd Gear Member

it wouldnt let me upload the pics
Old 11-05-2009, 10:27 AM
means42

Originally Posted by htwheelz67
The best fitting seat I have found is the recaro e-21 seats that you can find in bmw 320i's, they are super comfy and built better than any aftermarket or OEM seat, sit as low if not lower than the stockers and bolt right in using #266 ADAPTERS and generic scat/flofit sliders ....the attachment button isn't working for pics right now!

Those look awsome in my opinion.... But I am new so where did you get the adapters and generic scat? Can you get adapters for other vehicle seats...

I am thinking about chrysler sebring seats with built in seat belts... then add leather covers or something... I want the 3 point harness seat belts in my coupe for safety reason ( I am an attorney and see plenty of collision etc)
Do they make adapters for these seats? Any idea? Thanks.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Piraya33
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by means42
Those look awsome in my opinion.... But I am new so where did you get the adapters and generic scat? Can you get adapters for other vehicle seats...

I am thinking about chrysler sebring seats with built in seat belts... then add leather covers or something... I want the 3 point harness seat belts in my coupe for safety reason ( I am an attorney and see plenty of collision etc)
Do they make adapters for these seats? Any idea? Thanks.
You can also add 3 point seat belts to other seats with this kit. http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCa...seat-belts.htm
You have to buy 2 kits because each kit only does one seat.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Do a search on seat belts as I and many others here have posted on 3-point setups many times.
btw.. No seat should ever have built in belts! Belts and all fastening points should be to the body of the car.. not the seat.

I have 67 and ~89 seat frames in our car. We cut the top section of the 89 seat backs off and welded them into the 67 frames. The 89 seats had full structural support built into them for the headrests and were narrower then the 67 seats. Seems they were narrow enough to fit inside the 67 frame perfectly. Got the alignment set just right and welded them in. This provides full structural support for our headrests inside the seat backs.. not just a bolt or screw holding them on as in other aftermarket setups.

I also went with the stock replacement upholstery but added my own bolstering to the sides of the seat bottom and backs. Some good closed cell memory foam, an electric carving knife and a bit of shaping. A hair drier helps when putting the additional bolstering in a lot.

Went this way as she wanted the 2-tone light/dark Ivy Gold seats. I prefer a few of the aftermarket seats and the newer Mustang seats better. If I were to do it again I'd go that route, buy the Ivy Gold vinyl and have matching upholstery made for the newer seats. Which just might happen anyways.

Edit.. I haven't finished the upholstery to the headrests just yet which is why you don't see them in our car. Hopefully I'll get around to them by springtime

Last edited by Adrenolin; 11-05-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Silverblade
2nd Gear Member

if someone wants to host a couple pics of the 07 seats in my 67 pm me your email
Old 11-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

I put '87-'93 foxbody seats in mine ('89's I think) for ~$60 off CL, they fit well, I used the foxbody sliders and just drilled/cut the 'feet' off the sliders so they were flat like the originals. I put a piece of 1"Wx1/4" thick flat bar to adapt them to the seat riser holes. Once mounted the seat bottoms are the same height as the originals so my legs are no closer to the wheel.

I didn't move the mounting points or drill holes in the seat bottoms as the steel is double thickness where the mounting points are. I don't like the 'bread loaf' type headrests on there so I found a pair of earlier foxbody headrests that are more triangular like the new mustangs. I will be recovering them with a TMI set that will have the horizontal stitching to match the rears to look more 'stock'.

I'm 6'1" and using the flat bar adapter allowed me to move the seat back a couple inches, it now slides back farther than I use in normal driving. I wanted the extra back support and headrests for comfort/safety and will be installing 3pt. belts. The shoulder support, electric lubmar, adjustable hip bolsters and near full recline are nice additions.

Since my interior is red, I couldn't find any aftermarket seats I liked that were available in red so my options were limited. I was originally going to do the orignals with the sport seat option as above but $250 for a pair of headrests was rediculous to me (haven't seen them cheaper) and as mentioned I didn't like how flimsy they attached to the seat.
If your interior is black you have a lot more and cheaper options.
Jon
Attached Thumbnails After market seats or modern take off seats... for 65 Mustang Coupe-seats90vs67incarside.jpg   After market seats or modern take off seats... for 65 Mustang Coupe-676in906halfinseatbaseht.jpg   After market seats or modern take off seats... for 65 Mustang Coupe-6790seatsnoslidersfull.jpg   After market seats or modern take off seats... for 65 Mustang Coupe-img_1222.jpg  
Old 11-07-2009, 09:51 PM
69FB
4th Gear Member

Means42 I originally planned to go with a lap belt in my 69 but after further considerations (I know several law enforcement and a few lawyers) I decided to go with the shoulder harness belts. The 69 has mounting brackets (mine does not but will add them back) for this. I know the 65's did not. I would definitely agree with Adrenolin about mounting to the frame.

Sorry it took me awhile to reply.

Quick Reply: After market seats or modern take off seats... for 65 Mustang Coupe