Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Our '65 coupe project, so it begins (Lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

great progress, awesome skills, keep them pictures coming - please
Old 05-05-2011, 09:46 AM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LynnBob Mustang
Success! After much messing around and fitting I got the torque box finally in! Too bad I ran out of welding wire 1/3rd way through welding it up. LOL!!

I can't find a store open around here that has welding wire and the ones that were didn't have .24 wire, oh well I started fitting the other side. The whole key is to separate them as others have stated, it saves a lot of headaches.

Lynn
I can't see the welds very well. From what I think I see you are not using enough heat from the front subframe to the torque box plate. The front subframe is galvanized. In my experience, the galvanized metal wants a slower weld with a little more heat. All welds should be on clean metal but galvanized wants to be very, very clean. If your weld is building up and looking like a bird turd you aren't hot enough. I just welded my torque boxes up the other day. I only welded about 1" at a time and moved around to avoid overheating an area. When I start I get a good puddle going and then move the puddle around slowly. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

Also note that the gas coming from welding galvanized is toxic. You may have noticed a sweet smell when you were welding that area. That is you poisoning yourself. This is another reason I do 1" at a time. I basically hold my breath and step away before taking another.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:15 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

I made sure when I cleaned the metal before I welded it that it was sparking really good with my grinder. The guy that showed me how to weld said that the metal will spark when hit with a grinder once the galv coating is gone. It will not spark with the grinder when it is still on.

A friend that welds on Navy ships told me to have milk on hand and drink a big glass when done welding the frame as the milk counteracts any toxins from any galv. poisoning. That was one of the things they were taught while in the Navy learning to weld.

I looked at the pic and I remembered those bigger welds were me missing the seam and having to redo some of it. I was a little off track and a couple spots I missed altogether, so I had to redo them.
I will try and weld the other TB as you mentioned when I do the other side.
Thanks,
Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 05-05-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:23 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Never heard of that milk trick. I'll have to start doing it! haha
Old 05-05-2011, 11:39 PM
Kirklandkie
1st Gear Member

the milk thing is dead on accurate. you don't want zinc poisoning... nasty stuff

-kirk
Old 05-15-2011, 07:54 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

I got the frame rail tips fixed and the trunk drop offs test fit and the same with the trunk brace.

The frame rail tips don't look too pretty on one side as It is hard to get in the cramped space with the welder, but I beat the **** out of them with a hammer and they didn't come apart, so I guess I did OK on them.
Ahhhh, more new METAL!! LOL!!!

Lynn
Old 05-15-2011, 09:17 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Wow great job. I did a lot, or so I though with my car, but I don't think I could successfully go this far. Outstanding and great to see. Thanks for sharing all the pics.

I'm going to have a glass of milk now
Old 05-15-2011, 09:36 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

LOL!! Thanks!! Have a drink for me as well, I'm tired.

I never once thought I would/could ever get this far, but this car is for my wife. I really don't want to let her down with it. That is my drive and push to get her done.
Lynn
Old 05-22-2011, 06:09 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

I got the trunk brace and trunk drop offs welded in place.

I just gotta patch a couple spots on the trunk floor edge where I ripped up the floor getting the brace out. I'm almost out of gas for the welder, so I gotta get some more.
I test fit tail light panel again and it looks good.
Lynn
Old 05-23-2011, 08:51 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Nice!

Yeah it's hard to not tear up original metal when removing a panel. I butchered the metal under my cowl panel and now it'll take a little bondo to make it look nice. :/

Quick Reply: Our '65 coupe project, so it begins (Lots of pics)