Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Our '65 coupe project, so it begins (Lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 05:38 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

No, no bad news.
My buddy never put the V8 into it. It just came with it. He took the I6 out of it a couple years ago when he was stripping it down. I have been looking into all what I need to do the V8 conversion and I plan on trying to get it up as close to Shelby specs as best I can.
It should get interesting.
Lynn
Old 11-03-2009, 04:21 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

I'll be getting a export brace for the car, do I take and cut off the old brace ends that are welded to the tower, or do I bolt it over the top of them with new one?

Lynn
Old 11-03-2009, 05:31 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

cutting off the old ones (i just used a pneumatic hacksaw) will be a cleaner job. if you don't cut them off you'll be looking at those weird stumps for the rest of your life. there's a good few who left the stubs on but i don't like the looks of it (personal opinion).
check this one out. that's mine which is a half assed job:

Last edited by kalli; 11-03-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:46 PM
eleanor_350

I left the brackets on my shock towers when I installed my export brace. Like kalli said, it's a personal preference. The export brace will clear either way. I agree it looks cleaner with them removed. I'm just funny about cutting and drilling on my car if I don't have to. I don't know why, it's not like I'm ever going to reinstall the stock braces. One thing to note, leaving the brackets on leaves a nice sharp corner to snag your hand on when installing valve covers or spark plugs. Ask me how I know.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:04 PM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

I've seen both ways on the old export brace. Some folks cut them off and I've seen others leave them where they are.

Honestly though...I cut mine off...it looked pretty bad to me to leave them and you will notice them there.

As far as how to get the undercoat off...heat gun and a puddy knife works but if I already had my car torn down that much I'd probably just send it out to be blasted.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:53 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Thanks guys, I'll cut them off, I too think it will look cleaner.
Besides, I got enough scars from working on cars.

Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 11-04-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:08 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

I'm trying to get the steering linkage off the steering box. I have gotten the nut off, and I have beaten the side of the arm like I did the Tie rod arms making them pop apart trying to get these to pop apart the same way.

They will be replaced, so if the ends get damage it isn't a big deal, so can you use a pickle fork to separate it? Or should I keep trying to hit it and see if it will pop off?
Thanks,
Lynn
Old 11-04-2009, 11:32 PM
69Mutang

WOW!! This is definitely going to a fun project!! Hope to see In Progress pictures!!
Old 11-05-2009, 12:42 AM
1965screamer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LynnBob Mustang
I'm trying to get the steering linkage off the steering box. I have gotten the nut off, and I have beaten the side of the arm like I did the Tie rod arms making them pop apart trying to get these to pop apart the same way.

They will be replaced, so if the ends get damage it isn't a big deal, so can you use a pickle fork to separate it? Or should I keep trying to hit it and see if it will pop off?
Thanks,
Lynn
A pickle fork and a big hammer should pop them right apart. Project looks like a good one, good luck!
Old 11-05-2009, 05:40 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1965screamer
A pickle fork and a big hammer should pop them right apart. Project looks like a good one, good luck!
Thanks! I'll try that tonight.
Lynn

Quick Reply: Our '65 coupe project, so it begins (Lots of pics)