Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Our '65 coupe project, so it begins (Lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:35 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

I got a paint quotes yesterday of $4500-$5000 to do the car with a black vinyl top installed. The guy I had look at it has done a few Mustangs and his work looks great.
Lynn
Old 07-12-2012, 08:43 AM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

Just paint or body work and paint??
Old 07-12-2012, 06:10 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jrherald420
Just paint or body work and paint??
Mudding up everything I did, painting, and including installing vinyl top.
Lynn
Old 07-12-2012, 06:21 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

Ok, just checking. When i was stripping my 68 coupe i had someone come and give me a 5000.00 quote for the paint work. When i double checked if this was for final body work and setting panel gaps he got all pissy and said it was for primer and paint only, no blocking, sanding or buffing and he wanted me to buy the paint. lol You've got to watch people that say they can do the work. This was also a guy suggested to me by a friend that had known him for years.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:04 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

No new updates.

It has been a busy summer with the whole family being off for the summer (except me), 1 week vacation, the bad summer heat, redoing a 14' x 24' living room floor, and life in general.

Everyone is back in school now, living room floor is done, sweltering heat is over, and life is back to normal.

I got around two to three months before it gets too cold again to get a bunch of stuff done so that I can say I'll be happy with what I got done this year. I started back at it this week and got the trunk fully painted now and then I will jump back on to the cowl and rip it out.
Wish me luck.
Lynn
Old 09-09-2012, 05:54 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

It has been a while since I posted any progress on the car. Unfortunately I haven't done much on it either for the past 6-8 weeks with the whole family off for the summer, except me, putting in a new living room floor, and vacation for a week, plus the heat was nasty for a bit there.

Anywhoooo, I got to work on the old girl today and I decided to tie up a last few ends before I fully jumped in on the cowl replacement. I got the trunk fully done now, wheel wells under the car in undercoat, and the rear springs all cleaned up and painted.

I can now start to fully assemble the whole back end with the trunk detailing, wiring, new suspension and brakes at any time now that I have gotten these last few ends tied up and done.

Holy crap has it been a long haul with blood, sweat, and tears, to get to this point, but dang does it feel GOOD!!! Sad thing is I still got a long way to go... LOL!!!

Trunk painted, Sammy Hanger helped me out when I painted the Trunk bed coat on the back panel, but you won't see it when done, soooo.

I used CJ Pony's rattle can Rainbow Industries touch up paint for the whole trunk area. It painted really well and came out nice. It was painted over Truck bed coat, the reason why it looks a little dry.

Rear wheel wells outside done and springs painted.

I also got some new garage art up in the name of some vintage styled metal signs hung up.

Glad to be back at it.....
Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 09-09-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:44 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

The cowl is almost out.

I didn't drill the almost 200 spot welds out, since I was not saving any of it, so I said why bother?

I ground the welds down and hit it with my air chisel. The only place this wasn't working to well was the window area and that I had to drill out the spot welds, then my air chisel broke.....

Off to Harbor Freight or Walmart tomorrow to get another one.

Lynn
Old 09-12-2012, 07:58 PM
55's 65
1st Gear Member

Awesome job!! I just started a 65 coupe so it is great to be able to see your progress! Amazing job Lynn!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:04 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

The cowl is fully out now and I test fit the new one in place.

I drilled a couple guide holes as to where the old cowl was and the new one fell exactly into place in my drill guides.

After much deliberation and thought I decided not to take the new cowl apart. It is in better shape prep wise now then what the Ford factory ever did and I will leave it as is. I'll seam seal the out side of the hats a bit and I'll shoot some paint in the grill and leave it be.

I'll take and paint the under side and make sure my old 3 hole vent fits to the new 5 screw cowl.

I got a bit of work to make the back fit and come back together. I think the air chisel pushed the back metal back a little bit.

But it shouldn't be too bad to draw it back tight.
The rest of the ledges just need a little bit of clean up and hammer and dolly work to get them back flush again.

Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 09-16-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:15 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 55's 65
Awesome job!! I just started a 65 coupe so it is great to be able to see your progress! Amazing job Lynn!
Thanks!! Start a new thread of your own so we can see your progress.
Lynn

Quick Reply: Our '65 coupe project, so it begins (Lots of pics)