Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Restoring a 1968 Mustang Convertible: Best place to find parts needed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 06:10 PM
laxexquis

About converting this car to a true GT:

Is it possible?

Can I really buy the HD springs, sway bars etc. and make it a GT?

I would never just make it a fake clone, but a true GT, what will I need to do it?

In addition,

How hard would it be to put a console in (the original type of course)?

Any one know how it's mounted?

Thanks
John
Old 11-05-2009, 07:06 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by RedGTvert
I have used most of the Mustang suppliers over the years, and NPD has been the best supplier I have used, hands-down. They probably have the most extensive inventory of anyone out there. www.npdlink.com

Many suppliers have extensive catalogs, but do not stock much of what you see. CJ Pony Parts comes to mind. The few orders I placed with them came in one piece here, two pieces there.

only if you like over paying by lot......
Old 11-05-2009, 07:08 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by laxexquis

Is it possible?

I would never just make it a fake clone, but a true GT, what will I need to do it?

In addition,

Thanks
John

it will always be a clone and not a true GT(because of the numbers on the car)

nut theres nothing wrong with building it like you want it
Old 11-05-2009, 07:57 PM
laxexquis

Originally Posted by rmodel65
it will always be a clone and not a true GT(because of the numbers on the car)

nut theres nothing wrong with building it like you want it
True, but when I said clone I just meant a Stang with the wheels, decals and the other cosmetic stuff.

I like the idea of building my car to my own specification, but sticking to the original options in 1968.

I am not really a fan of mods in any car and so I try to keep everything original.

John
Old 11-05-2009, 08:01 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

That would be cool. I had considered doing mine like that at one time. I see no reason not to make it as close to a real GT as possible. I say go with that idea.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 07-02-2010 at 02:37 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:05 PM
RedGTvert
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
only if you like over paying by lot......
Sorry, but I do not mind paying a little bit more and know that what I order will actually ship.

I have used darn near everyone out there, and for the small difference, I have peace of mind. Too many times, plans got screwed up because parts that were supposed to be in stock were not, or wrong parts being shipped.

If price were the only determining factor, I would order everything from CJ Pony Parts and turn a three month project into a one year project.

NPD must be doing something right, adding another 200,000 square feet to the Ocala building within the next year.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:13 PM
RedGTvert
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by laxexquis

Is it possible?

In addition,

Thanks
John
You can add any of the parts needed, but as mentioned would never be a true GT.

No reason to be concerned that it is a clone. Look how many Shelby clones are on the road, and most of their owners are pretty proud of their cars. Some of these people have gone to great lengths to clone their cars exactly as Carrol Shelby had built them back in the day.

As far as the console, you'll have to search for a good used one. At this time no one is doing a repro for the '68 that could be bought. A good used one won't come cheap either. Some people have used the Cougar console if that is all that could be found.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Flash70
2nd Gear Member

First off welcome to the forum. Let me congratulate you on holding on to your car for that long! Very impressive. Now it is time to show that baby some love!

I can not give all the technical advice that 2+2 can give but I will say Mustangbarn is a nice place to order from for several reasons. 1 being that they have excellent information and help if you call in. 2 you do not feel like you are ordering from some place that has millions of costumers but bad service people. If I had to order from a larger dealer it would probably be CJ Pony Parts mostly because they are right down the road from me.

Good luck with your car! That is one of the best years IMO.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:01 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Is it possible?
"True"? No, since the factory created them. Completely correct? Sure.

The springs aren't even expensive, if you use the dealer I prefer.

As a 68, it'll need
HD suspension:
•Springs
•Shocks
•Thicker front sway bar- I recommend 1"
•4-turn steering gearbox (if you have power steering, you already have this. Power steering is not part of the GT option, it is separate
I also recommend lowering the upper arms 1", as did Shelby in 1965. This dramatically improves handling. You should also stiffen the front end with an export brace.

Fog lamps with proper wiring harness
GT fender emblems
GT "C" stripes
Styled steel wheels with "GT" center caps

302 4V engine. A 289 2v can do this, simply by adding the iron 4V intake. You'll need to have the distributor re-curved, which it probably needs anyway.

Dual exhaust, with stainless twin tips, and hangers
Notched rear valence to match the exhaust

"GT" pop-off gas cap

Power front disc brakes

•••••••••••••••

You'll need the whole thing, including the specially adapted auto shifter, if you have an auto trans. This was NOT part of the GT model, though.

It's screwed to the floor, and two sheetmetal brackets brace it to the dash.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:12 PM
laxexquis

Originally Posted by 2+2GT

Is it possible?
"True"? No, since the factory created them. Completely correct? Sure.

The springs aren't even expensive, if you use the dealer I prefer.

As a 68, it'll need
HD suspension:
•Springs
•Shocks
•Thicker front sway bar- I recommend 1"
•4-turn steering gearbox (if you have power steering, you already have this. Power steering is not part of the GT option, it is separate
I also recommend lowering the upper arms 1", as did Shelby in 1965. This dramatically improves handling. You should also stiffen the front end with an export brace.

Fog lamps with proper wiring harness
GT fender emblems
GT "C" stripes
Styled steel wheels with "GT" center caps

302 4V engine. A 289 2v can do this, simply by adding the iron 4V intake. You'll need to have the distributor re-curved, which it probably needs anyway.

Dual exhaust, with stainless twin tips, and hangers
Notched rear valence to match the exhaust

"GT" pop-off gas cap

Power front disc brakes

•••••••••••••••

You'll need the whole thing, including the specially adapted auto shifter, if you have an auto trans. This was NOT part of the GT model, though.

It's screwed to the floor, and two sheetmetal brackets brace it to the dash.

Wow!

Thank you!

That is exactly what I needed. You are a Mustang expert!

About the engine thing-

confused about what 4V means, do you mean a 4 barrel carburetor?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have also decided I am going to put in a clock and a tachometer (original ones, no aftermarket) so I will have to order a new circuit board for the instrument cluster, the only thing I haven't figured out yet is

What do I put in the engine that sends the messages to the tach?

Also, as the oil pressure gauge is replaced with the gas when the tach is put in, what happens to the piece that goes into engine to that sends the messages to that gauge that is now none existent, is there some type of spacer?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The console is a definite, love what it does to the car, one question about the seat belts though.

Where retractable seat belts optional, for example, would the male piece retract into the lower outer side of the seats and the female pieces rest in the console. Because, now I just have two belts on each side floating around with no place that I installed myself.

I am also going to put in the 1968 original optional AM/FM Philco radio.

Found one here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...#ht_500wt_1182

My original was just an AM, which is kind of useless. I wanted to have the original radio, but I wanted FM, so this solves my problem as this radio was truly optional.

One question about it though, do I needed to add any speakers, I just have the one on the top of the dashboard above the radio, I think I might of heard I need to add door speakers, is this true?

I would also like to add the air conditioning system, stay all original though.

Also, tilt-away wheel would be nice.

Speed control,

would you happen to know what I need to do to install speed control?

I also considered remote left mirror, but decided not too once I saw how big and bulky it is.

Thats about it.

My car already has a power top, glass backlite, and power steering which I am happy about.

Lastly, would anyone happen to know what type of tire and wheel options were available back then? And, with a GT pack, what type of spare should this car have, full size?

Sorry for all the questions, I just pretty much unloaded everything all at once.

Thank you very very much for your help.

-John

Last edited by laxexquis; 11-06-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Restoring a 1968 Mustang Convertible: Best place to find parts needed?