Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Restoring a 1968 Mustang Convertible: Best place to find parts needed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 05:46 PM
laxexquis

Default Restoring a 1968 Mustang Convertible: Best place to find parts needed?

Hello,

I have a 1968 Mustang Convertible 289.

It was my first car which I owned since I was 16.

It is not in bad shape now as I have always spruced it up a little bit, but it can used a fair amount of work.

I am preparing to do a complete restoration.

Mainly what I am asking is what is the best parts house or catalogue to purchase the type of parts I need (many interior parts, trim, steering wheel, seals etc.) from? They have to be all original though.

Also what do you think of putting options on the car that it did not originally come with? Not asking from the value standpoint, but how easy would it be? for example putting in a the console, or putting in air conditioning, or maybe adding the GT equipment package.

I have already accepted the fact that I am not going to make this car exact as it was new, it will have different colors so thats why I am not bothered about putting on options it never had. What I really what is the car to be completely original, oem parts, but built to my specification (colors, options etc.) How hard would it be to do that?

By the way, I am currently 46, so that gives you an idea as to how long I have held on to it.

Thanks for you help,
John

Last edited by laxexquis; 11-03-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:54 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

There is probably no "one best place", but my favorite is Glazier Nolan. Wide selection, in-house restoration tech advice, great service.

http://www.mustangbarn.com/

Their catalog is on-line here:

http://www.mustangbarn.com/catalog.pdf

Also what do you think of putting options on the car that it did not originally come with? Not asking from the value standpoint, but how easy would it be? for example putting in a the console, or putting in air conditioning, or maybe adding the GT equipment package.
Well, it's your car, make it the way you'd like.

I have already accepted the fact that I am not going to make this car exact as it was new, it will have different colors so thats why I am not bothered about putting on options it never had. What I really what is the car to be completely original, oem parts, but built to my specification (colors, options etc.) How hard would it be to do that?
Very. OEM stuff is, well, getting old. Ford has abandoned these cars, so unless you pay some very high coin for NOS parts, it'll take years, and a lot of work. Body color is easy, of course. NOS interior stuff is basically "unobtanium", no matter what color you want. Carefully selected, from a reputable dealer, new or reconditioned items are perfectly fine.

By the way, I am currently 46, so that gives you an idea as to how long I have held on to it.
I have you beat by a few years. Fun, isn't it?

Last edited by 2+2GT; 11-03-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:12 PM
laxexquis

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
There is probably no "one best place", but my favorite is Glazier Nolan. Wide selection, in-house restoration tech advice, great service.

http://www.mustangbarn.com/

Their catalog is on-line here:

http://www.mustangbarn.com/catalog.pdf

Well, it's your car, make it the way you'd like.

Very. OEM stuff is, well, getting old. Ford has abandoned these cars, so unless you pay some very high coin for NOS parts, it'll take years, and a lot of work. Body color is easy, of course. NOS interior stuff is basically "unobtanium", no matter what color you want. Carefully selected, from a reputable dealer, new or reconditioned items are perfectly fine.

I have you beat by a few years. Fun, isn't it?
Thanks very much for the response.

I will definitely check out Mustang barn, looks like a great place.

As far as "OEM" parts, I misused the term. What I meant was recreated factory parts to look exactly as new, no aftermarket parts. So how hard would it be to make the car a GT?

And lastly: Yes, it is great! I love Mustangs!

Thank,
John
Old 11-03-2009, 07:23 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by laxexquis
As far as "OEM" parts, I misused the term. What I meant was recreated factory parts to look exactly as new, no aftermarket parts. So how hard would it be to make the car a GT?
Ah. To do a GT clone, you'll need fog lamps and brackets, fog lamp wiring and switch, 68 GT emblems, GT stripes, GT gas cap, rear valence panel with exhaust notches, and stainless twin tips for dual exhaust. You'll want wheels to do it right, but these are available new and used.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:23 PM
laxexquis

Ah. To do a GT clone, you'll need fog lamps and brackets, fog lamp wiring and switch, 68 GT emblems, GT stripes, GT gas cap, rear valence panel with exhaust notches, and stainless twin tips for dual exhaust. You'll want wheels to do it right, but these are available new and used.

Thank you, exactly what I needed to know.

One question, which is about the exhaust.

Was the dual exhaust a separate option, or did it come with the GT package? My 68 just has one muffler and one exhaust tip coming out of the bottom right, so I guess I would have to put in dual exhaust in addition.

Thanks, you've been very helpful! By the way, I already ordered a catalogue from Mustang Barn.

John
Old 11-03-2009, 08:50 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by laxexquis
Was the dual exhaust a separate option, or did it come with the GT package? My 68 just has one muffler and one exhaust tip coming out of the bottom right, so I guess I would have to put in dual exhaust in addition.
Well, I only covered the cosmetic stuff above. The GT also included the HD suspension (HD front sway bar, springs, and shocks) close ratio (4-turn) steering (if you have power steering, you already have this) 302 4V engine, and dual exhaust, and power front disc brakes.

There are many dual exhaust setups available, including the exact repro of the original system.

You don't have to do the GT conversion to get most of this stuff. The GT side stripes, fog lamps, wheels, and pop-off gas cap were sold as a package called the Sprint. you would not need dual exhaust etc. for that, nor would you have the problem of altering the fenders due to all the holes that needed to be filled and drilled, as the Sprint used the standard emblems.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:37 PM
laxexquis

Well, I only covered the cosmetic stuff above. The GT also included the HD suspension (HD front sway bar, springs, and shocks) close ratio (4-turn) steering (if you have power steering, you already have this) 302 4V engine, and dual exhaust, and power front disc brakes.

There are many dual exhaust setups available, including the exact repro of the original system.

You don't have to do the GT conversion to get most of this stuff. The GT side stripes, fog lamps, wheels, and pop-off gas cap were sold as a package called the Sprint. you would not need dual exhaust etc. for that, nor would you have the problem of altering the fenders due to all the holes that needed to be filled and drilled, as the Sprint used the standard emblems.

Ah, now I see all the mechanical additions.

Believe it or not, I will consider putting in the HD suspension as I would like to make it a true GT, would it be hard to find all the parts needed for this? I already have power steering, but would need to add the disc brakes(is it true the front only are disc and the rear stay drum?). As far as the engine, do you mean that you can only have the 302 with the GT package? I read in the brochure that the GT package was available with all three V8s?

I am still a little confused with the exhaust:

First, when you got the GT package, were the exhaust tips quad or just one on each side?

Second, could you order dual exhaust alone as a separate option, and if so, were they quad or just two on each side?

Thanks again,
John
Old 11-03-2009, 10:48 PM
RedGTvert
1st Gear Member

I have used most of the Mustang suppliers over the years, and NPD has been the best supplier I have used, hands-down. They probably have the most extensive inventory of anyone out there. www.npdlink.com

Many suppliers have extensive catalogs, but do not stock much of what you see. CJ Pony Parts comes to mind. The few orders I placed with them came in one piece here, two pieces there.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:22 AM
darkngtz
2nd Gear Member

craigslist
Old 11-04-2009, 04:00 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I have used alot of the Mustang parts places at one time or another. I like Mustangs Unlimited. California Mustang and Virginia Mustang are good. There really is no best one. Sometimes one will have stuff that another doesn't. I have never used Glazier Nolan, but hear they are a good place. Also, Mustangs Plus has some restomod / upgrade type of parts that I don't really see anywhere else. I have never had any problems with CJ Pony Parts, other than sometimes the shipping is slow. I saw that craigslist was mentioned. It is a good source. You can post wanted ads or even sell some of your old parts you aren't going to use. Ebay has some NOS stuff and some good deals on things that people buy for their projects and don't use.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 11-04-2009 at 04:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Restoring a 1968 Mustang Convertible: Best place to find parts needed?