Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help removing front leaf spring bolt

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 05:12 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default Help removing front leaf spring bolt

I cannot for the life of me get the passenger side front leaf spring bolt out the car. The driver side came loose when I broke the nut loose and I was able to drive it out with a combination of my air hammer and then a with hammer and center punch.
When I got to the passenger side I got the nut off but the bolt would not turn and I cannot drive it out with a hammer and I cannot break it loose with a socket either. The SOB just will not budge. I tried cutting the bolt, but due to angles I cannot get my sawzall in there right to do it and I busted up three blades trying.

Should I get a torch and burn out the rubber bushing? It will stink and smell like crazy, but what other options do I got???

Lynn
Old 11-15-2009, 05:15 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

ive heard horror stories like that. cut off wheel or torches...
Old 11-15-2009, 05:19 PM
cfd2bc
2nd Gear Member

That is how I got mine out....torch. I did what you did and just about in that order. Finally ended up going to the big gun!
Old 11-15-2009, 06:56 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by racin66coupe
ive heard horror stories like that. cut off wheel or torches...
Wasn't that like movie Saw # 22 or something???
I'm not sure what# Saw movie just came out. LOL!!

Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 11-15-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:01 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cfd2bc
That is how I got mine out....torch. I did what you did and just about in that order. Finally ended up going to the big gun!
Did you use a cutting torch or just a big flame torch to do it?

It is a real pain in the butt, I finally said eff it and out of frustration I started cleaning up all the rear frame rails and floor pans since I had so much room to work with. They came out pretty darn good to, I'll post pics later in the week when I update my thread.
I'll have my buddy come up with his torch after winter and get it off then.
Lynn
Old 11-16-2009, 08:27 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

In my opinion, these are the two most difficult bolts to remove in a restoration, particularly on an original car. The problem is that the bolt rusts and bonds to the steel sleeve inside the bushing. There is no guarantee that a torch will remove this as it depends on the degree of corrosion. I've always used my sawsall with a short blade to cut the spring out inside the mount, then knock the nut and bolt head out from the inside. Good luck, it is a real bitch!
Old 11-16-2009, 10:02 AM
orange88
1st Gear Member

I had the same problem. Drivers side took about an hour to swap, passenger took about 2 days lol. I ended up cutting the spring (with a cutting wheel-wish I had a torch) close enough so that I could spin the eye then cut the eye so I could slide it off the bolt. After that I cut the bolt, bushing and everything. And you are right the rubber will stink up a whole garage with the doors open and a fan on.

Probably not the best way to do it but it worked.

Good Luck!
Old 11-16-2009, 12:16 PM
cfd2bc
2nd Gear Member

It was a cutting torch. Cut the metal and melt the rubber. They are right, stunk up the garage!
Old 11-16-2009, 12:30 PM
eleanor_350

I cut the bolt by slipping a hacksaw blade between the spring eye and frame bracket on both sides of the spring. I cut the bolt on both sides and the spring came right out. I wasn't worried about getting the rest of the bolt out of the spring eye because I was replacing the springs anyway. I just wore gloves and used a bare hacksaw blade (no handle). It took forever working in such tight quarters and making such short strokes with the saw, but it worked.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:33 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by orange88
I had the same problem. Drivers side took about an hour to swap, passenger took about 2 days lol. I ended up cutting the spring (with a cutting wheel-wish I had a torch) close enough so that I could spin the eye then cut the eye so I could slide it off the bolt. After that I cut the bolt, bushing and everything. And you are right the rubber will stink up a whole garage with the doors open and a fan on.

Probably not the best way to do it but it worked.
I know pros who do tough ones this way. With a good cutoff wheel it takes about 15 minutes. I'd never use a torch for any part of this job, I've heard too many stories about soundproofing and interiors being set on fire.

Quick Reply: Help removing front leaf spring bolt