Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 11-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
blue289
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1967, Ford, Mustang Convertible
Default timing mark on 67 289 w/ac

Could someone describe the timing mark or post a picture of it? I see something like a bolt sticking out of the timing cover. If this is it, do I need to remove the AC compressor to set the timing? I can barely see it from the top of the engine and definitely not well enough to judge where it is compared to the marks on the harmonic balancer.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
blue289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
msmith
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1966 Ford Mustang Convertible

On early 289's it's cast into the block as a flat on one of the bosses... You can see it pretty well in this pic at about 1:00 if you were looking at the front of the engine.

Click the image to open in full size.

Later 289's and 302's have a bolt-on sheet metal pointer that looks like this:

Here is the sheet metal pointer on the timing cover:
Wimbledon White
Ivy Gold Luxury Int.
msmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
Flash70
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1970 Mustang
Send a message via MSN to Flash70

my sheetmetal pointer is on the opposite side... is that normal?
as in the passenger side.
Flash70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1967 GT Coupe

Flash, that would make yours a 302 or at least a 289 with 302 timing pointer. In 68 with the introduction of the 302 they moved the lower rad hose to the drivers side so they had to move the pointer to the other side.
67t5ponycoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:32 PM   #5
Flash70
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1970 Mustang
Send a message via MSN to Flash70

okay. thank you. I was confused because he said the 302 and 289 have the pointer and the picture showed it on the drivers side. good information to know.
thanks
Flash70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
blue289
1st Gear Member

I found it and am going to have to sand the harmonic balancer to find the timing marks on it. Could somebody with ac on their car explain how they can line up the two timing marks without removing the compressor?
Old 11-17-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 66 Mustang 2+2GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe View Post
Flash, that would make yours a 302 or at least a 289 with 302 timing pointer. In 68 with the introduction of the 302 they moved the lower rad hose to the drivers side so they had to move the pointer to the other side.
That would not be correct. The 289 and 302 both had the pointer on the LH side, and the lower hose on the RH side, 64-69. The swap came in 1970, when the water pump, pulleys, and harmonic balancer were revised.
2+2GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #8
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue289 View Post
I found it and am going to have to sand the harmonic balancer to find the timing marks on it. Could somebody with ac on their car explain how they can line up the two timing marks without removing the compressor?
I don't understand the problem. The compressor and compressor brackets are nowhere near the LH mounted timing pointer. The PS bracket comes closer, but even that doesn't block the view of the LH timing pointer. Really. I've been working on these cars for decades, and it's just not a problem. Maybe there's something odd about your car? How about a photo?

This one shows the LH pointer quite clearly:

Old 11-17-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
blue289
1st Gear Member

I have another question about whether or not I am at TDC. When I got the engine back from the rebuilder I went on and installed the distributor. The rotor is pointing to the number one plug firing point. Does this mean my engine is at TDC? If not, is there another way to tell?
Old 11-17-2009, 09:21 AM   #10
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue289 View Post
I have another question about whether or not I am at TDC. When I got the engine back from the rebuilder I went on and installed the distributor. The rotor is pointing to the number one plug firing point. Does this mean my engine is at TDC? If not, is there another way to tell?
You have a 50/50 chance. It could either be TDC compression stroke or TDC exhaust stroke. Crank the engine with the RH valve cover off and observe the #1 valves.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:21 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1966, 289, 302, block, engine, ford, location, mark, marks, motor, mustang, picture, pointer, sand, timimg, timing