Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Final Head selection

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:21 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Default Final Head selection

I have decided on these trick flow heads

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-51400002

However, they have a maximum lift of .540 and my cam has a lift of .538. Is this too close? should i pick a different head?
Old 11-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

What cam are you running? And is it roller or flat tappet?
Old 11-19-2009, 09:50 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

so i thought that i had decided on the trick flow heads but the maximum lift that they allow for my application is .540. my cam has a lift of .538, is this too close?

the next head that will wok is $200 more. i dont really see what the difference is other than the lift.

Also, is there going to be a huge difference in compression between 61cc and 63 cc chambers?
Old 11-19-2009, 09:50 PM
cdan03
1st Gear Member

yes would like to know what cam you are running and the size of the motor. What power goals are you wanting to achieve. and also, are you rebuild the entire engine or putting heads on. Some Trickflow heads require notched pistons or something like that. Some more info, could help out with this. Also i would reccomend going to forum fordmuscle.com about posting stuff related to engines. they are a wealth of information their, and several reputable engine builders over there that are willing to help out
Old 11-19-2009, 09:55 PM
cdan03
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MonsterBilly
so i thought that i had decided on the trick flow heads but the maximum lift that they allow for my application is .540. my cam has a lift of .538, is this too close?

the next head that will wok is $200 more. i dont really see what the difference is other than the lift.

Also, is there going to be a huge difference in compression between 61cc and 63 cc chambers?
yes 2 cc can make a difference. heads and cam are the making or breaking part of a powerful motor. Some heads have better flow than others. They more the flow the more power. I wouldn't always believe what the manufacturer says about their flow test. From what i have read there are ways to manipulate the test. iff we knew the size of the motor, specs of the cam, and your goals with the motor people could help you easier. i personally wouldn't go that close to max lift. i would move up to something that has a .600 max lift or atleast .550 max lift.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cdan03
yes would like to know what cam you are running and the size of the motor. What power goals are you wanting to achieve. and also, are you rebuild the entire engine or putting heads on. Some Trickflow heads require notched pistons or something like that. Some more info, could help out with this. Also i would reccomend going to forum fordmuscle.com about posting stuff related to engines. they are a wealth of information their, and several reputable engine builders over there that are willing to help out
You seem to recommend that forum quite a bit.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:57 PM
cdan03
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nick.Simonds
You seem to recommend that forum quite a bit.
i have only reccomend it twice.
the people over there are wealth of info in regards to racing and engine building.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:11 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

i am running a lunati 61003 cam and i am trying to get as much out of it as i can. it is the factory 289 with a brand new bottom end. All ARP bolts and it is balanced with hyper pistons. Im not sure which pistons i have but i will find out. I also have a high pressure oil pump.

I also plan on running a 125 shot of NOS
Old 11-19-2009, 10:11 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Sorry Starfury, i have a flat tappet
Old 11-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't plan on running that much nitrous (NOS is a brand, not a product) with hypereutectic pistons. If you do, you better be damn sure you have the timing and mix set right. Hypereutectics are very fragile. One good detonation can shatter a piston and turn your motor into a giant paperweight.

I suspect you could run those valve springs with that cam. The .540" max lift spec is for roller cams which have a much more aggressive ramp rate than a flat tappet cam. They won't be as ideal as the cam matched Lunati valve springs, but I think they might work.

Quick Reply: Final Head selection