Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Fuel line

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 06:26 PM
bredn65

Default Fuel line

Hey peeps,

I'm needing to replace the fuel line from tank to fuel pump and wondering the easiest way to do it and material. I've read a few posts about standard hard line vs braided etc. Which is the best way to go? How tough is it to replace the line?
Old 11-20-2009, 06:47 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Use the pre-formed steel line. With the car on a lift, it'll take a couple hours. Remove the driveshaft, or it'll take a couple days. Get a line clip set. Removing the LH rear shock will help, too. If you have single exhaust, or are planning to replace the exhaust, do it while the exhaust is off.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:56 PM
bredn65

It already has a new dual exhaust on it and no access to a lift unless I pay a shop to do it. Drive shaft removal and shock is easy, getting around the exhaust is going to be a whole different story!
Old 11-21-2009, 02:20 AM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Use the pre-formed steel line. With the car on a lift, it'll take a couple hours. Remove the driveshaft, or it'll take a couple days. Get a line clip set. Removing the LH rear shock will help, too. If you have single exhaust, or are planning to replace the exhaust, do it while the exhaust is off.
is the fuel line that much harder then the intermediate brake line? when i did the brake line i left the drive shaft in place as well as the exhaust.

but yea i agree, get the prebent hardlines.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:47 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bredn65
It already has a new dual exhaust on it and no access to a lift unless I pay a shop to do it. Drive shaft removal and shock is easy, getting around the exhaust is going to be a whole different story!
Nahh, just start at the back. Don't forget the lines are mild steel. You can bend them a bit to clear something, and bend them back. Just take it easy, so you don't kink it.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:50 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65rangoon
is the fuel line that much harder then the intermediate brake line? when i did the brake line i left the drive shaft in place as well as the exhaust.

but yea i agree, get the prebent hardlines.
How did you access the retaining clips with the driveshaft only an inch away? I can't press the buttterfly retainers with that little clearance, especially if I'm dealing with a LH exhaust pipe.

BTW, a friend of mine has a car like your "name", nice car.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:25 AM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

haha id have to crawl back under the car to remember ...

i know i just undscrewed the clips slightly and popped the line out from behind it. i dont think the driveshaft was out at the time (i know i replaced the u-joints around teh same time)

damn you now you have me curious! ill have to look at them again when im back home for thanksgiving as i keep the car at my parents house since i live in a condo up here (waay far chicago burbs, liek an hour out from the city)

and i like your buddies car! mines the rangoon red like that but with a white top & white interior.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:25 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

If you want a home made lift, just use 2 pairs of ramps and put both the front and the rear of the car on them. Just face them both out so the car can't roll off. I did this and it give plenty of room under the car.

It is much easier to work on the fuel line with the drive shaft removed.

I recommend the prebent line also. I went with the 3/8 instead of the 5/16. If your motor is completely stock then the 5/16 should be fine, but if you have modified it quite a bit, the 3/8 line is the way to go. It is sometimes called Race or Shelby in the description.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:18 PM
66@50

I know I'm late responding but here's my 2 cents. Unless your really concerned with concourse or original get the braided line and AN fittings and put the thing where u want not where Ford did on the assembly line. I did the prebent thing last winter and never again. Sure I got it done with a few curses and and hours. Afterwards I asked myself why I did it rather than braided and could think of no good reason
Old 11-22-2009, 01:50 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Most braided hose will cause your garage to smell like gas. If you like that, fine, but the prebent 3/8" stainless line looks good, fits well, and is easy to install. It comes will a wide radius bend in order to fit in a box. You straighten it out and attach it. I would use Russell insulated clamps made for 3/8" line and forget the factory clamps.

Quick Reply: Fuel line