Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Upholstery work....

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 08:24 AM
cschoonm

Default Upholstery work....

Looking to get the interior redone this winter and got a quote last week that I thought was pretty high. Shop quoted me $2700 for supplies and labor to replace carpet, door panels, still plates, headliner, package tray, and to refoam and cover the seats. Is this price about right?? Would like to know how much some of you have gotten this done for. Thanks
Old 11-24-2009, 09:18 AM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cschoonm
Looking to get the interior redone this winter and got a quote last week that I thought was pretty high. Shop quoted me $2700 for supplies and labor to replace carpet, door panels, still plates, headliner, package tray, and to refoam and cover the seats. Is this price about right??
I hope the list is a lot longer for that price.
That price blows my mind for the short list you gave. Are they making the covers or just installing them? The material list for your list would run about $500-$600.
I am replacing EVERYTHING (Soft materials, screws, etc...) in the interior of my mustang and the price won't be half of that. Everything you listed and a lot more and it is not costing half of that. Even with new floor pans.... But I am also doing all the labor.
I would shop around if you have to have someone else do it for you. And get a breakdown of the quote! That one just blows my mind.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:53 AM
cschoonm

They are making there own covers and will wrap them in high wear vinyl. I'm glad you are on the same page as me as this price blew me away as well. I was expecting something in the neighborhood of $1500
Old 11-24-2009, 09:54 AM
ozarks06
2nd Gear Member

What he said ^^^. If you are using original-type materials (not going leather or something) you can buy a complete kit to do most of that. My wife and I put in the headliner in about 1 1/2 hours, she recovered the back seat in an hour (I replaced the front seats). The carpet took about an hour. It's definitely not rocket science. If you'll bring me the car, I'll gladly do it for the price they quoted (and pocket $1500 for a day's work).
Old 11-24-2009, 10:46 AM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cschoonm
They are making there own covers and will wrap them in high wear vinyl. I'm glad you are on the same page as me as this price blew me away as well. I was expecting something in the neighborhood of $1500
I've seen a lot of custom upholstery that looks wonderful. But I have also seen a bunch that looks great until it starts to wear in, will sag and look worse than ill fitting seat covers. That's one reason I asked. An upholstery shop will probably try and make one that will fit your car. But with all the options available that are custom made to fit your specific seats..... WHY BOTHER? You can get the latest materials and upgrades for your seats. Even upgrade the foam to a stiffer, more comfortable one. They will probably sew you a headliner and charge for hand making it. Less than $40 almost anywhere and you know it was made to fit your Mustang.
I would really consider doing at least some of the stuff yourself. There are even DVD videos on re-doing your entire interior. Once you start taking it apart, you would see how easy it is to put back together and be amazed at the price the shop wants to charge. It is really much easier than it looks as long as you have the proper knowledge and materials. If you can't do it right, then you could always pay a shop to do it.
The package tray and door sill plates? These guys sound like they are charging $100 an hour... No way I would let them charge that for a bolt-on item.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:48 AM
cxr
2nd Gear Member

i bought the kit because i had gotten a quote for like 2,000 for all.

then i ended up paying someone 150.00 to install the headliner
and 350.00 to put the covers on the seats, because i just did not have the time to do myself.

we did put the carpet on though
Old 11-24-2009, 11:29 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Headliners are a pain because you have to pull the windshield and rear glass, the headliner goes under them and the glass holds it in. Getting one in without a bunch of wrinkles is the fun part. I did mine in the Cougar, boy howdy what fun it was. At least I had the glass out from the paint work.

Seat covers can be a pain, and if you dont get them tight enough they will sag and look like crap. Everything else is straight forward and simple to do. A little attention to detail and it will look great for what you have in it.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:46 AM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by THUMPIN455
Headliners are a pain because you have to pull the windshield and rear glass, the headliner goes under them and the glass holds it in. Getting one in without a bunch of wrinkles is the fun part. I did mine in the Cougar, boy howdy what fun it was. At least I had the glass out from the paint work.
I have the windshield and backlite out for paint right now, Boy I hope we don't get a hard rain any time soon <grin>.. I plan to put mine in after the paint and before the windshields. I seriously doubt an upholstery shop would go to the length to remove the glass to do it right. If they did, I doubt they would know how to put mine back in correctly without the windshield glue of later years.
That's the thing, these older cars are so different from each other. If you don't have a Mustang Specific shop do it, I doubt they could do all the work correctly. Be sure and question any of them specific to the assembly of your interior before hiring them. You could end up with a lot of fixes having to be done if they don't know your car or having a crappy job done by having them try to shove the headliner under the windshield with a screwdriver!