Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1967 mustang brake speed bleeders

Old 11-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Duba

Default 1967 mustang brake speed bleeders

Install speed bleeders on the front of my Mustang coupe and have the regs on the rear. Went to bleed the rear brakes and lots of fluid came out of the front speed bleeder. It is in the closed position and was wondering if it could be faulty or???

Could it be stuck? Can it be fixed by placing a pin needle in the opening or must it be replaced.

Anyone had this problem before??

Thank for help in advance.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Cruzzar
1st Gear Member

When you say "speed bleeder" do you mean the bleeder with a spring loaded check valve in it? If so, that bleeder is ment to allow bubbles/fluid to come out when the brake pedal is applied and the pressure increases in the lines. If you want to bleed the back brakes, put the speed bleeder on the rear and the original/regular bleeders on the front, tighten them down, push on the pedal and the air/fluid will come out the speed bleeder. You might want to put a small hose on the end of the speed bleeder and direct the outcomming fluid into a jar or it will run all over the rear end housing, backing plate and floor. When done replace the "speed bleeder" with the regular bleeder. Make sure you check your brake fluid level in the master cylinder and replenish it as you are bleeding your brakes (don't allow the fluid level to get so low as to allow air to get into the lines or you will have to do a more involved brake bleeding job.

Last edited by Cruzzar; 11-30-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Duba

Originally Posted by Cruzzar
When you say "speed bleeder" do you mean the bleeder with a spring loaded check valve in it? If so, that bleeder is ment to allow bubbles/fluid to come out when the brake pedal is applied and the pressure increases in the lines. If you want to bleed the back brakes, put the speed bleeder on the rear and the original/regular bleeders on the front, tighten them down, push on the pedal and the air/fluid will come out the speed bleeder. You might want to put a small hose on the end of the speed bleeder and direct the outcomming fluid into a jar or it will run all over the rear end housing, backing plate and floor. When done replace the "speed bleeder" with the regular bleeder. Make sure you check your brake fluid level in the master cylinder and replenish it as you are bleeding your brakes (don't allow the fluid level to get so low as to allow air to get into the lines or you will have to do a more involved brake bleeding job.
Yeh, sorry more info is needed. I do mean the the bleeders with the spring loaded check valve. I bled my back brakes and a bunch of fluid came out of the front where I have install the "speed bleeders". Now when I step on the brake fluid comes out the front caliper "speed bleeder" even though it is in the closed position.

When you say replace with old valve, should'nt the speed bleeder be a replacement for the old valve and left in the hole??

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:18 PM
oldrock
2nd Gear Member

I am not personally a fan of speed bleeders. What i would do is put the regular ones in and invest in a mity vac. Makes bleeding brakes a piece of cake and the mity vac is made in the USA!
Old 12-01-2009, 01:06 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

I use speed bleeders all the time on my racecars. I have to because if I get the wife out of bed @ 2am to help me she gets cranky.

First, make sure they are threaded in all the way. Second, make sure you get them all the way closed. They turn a lot stiffer than a regular bleeder and if left open even a quarter turn will leak. So make sure you get them all the way tightened up. As a last thought, if the old bleeders were rusted in you may want to clean the threads before putting in the speedbleeders. And I am assuming you got the correct ones and the threads matched?

If they're still leaking take them back. I never had one that leaked and I've used them for years on stuff with lots higher brake pressures than a mustang sees.

Last edited by racer_dave; 12-01-2009 at 01:08 PM. Reason: adding info I forgot
Old 12-01-2009, 01:08 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

I forgot to add this. I leave the speedbleeders in all the time. I don't take them out and put the regular ones back in, that defeats their purpose.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Duba

Originally Posted by racer_dave
I use speed bleeders all the time on my racecars. I have to because if I get the wife out of bed @ 2am to help me she gets cranky.

First, make sure they are threaded in all the way. Second, make sure you get them all the way closed. They turn a lot stiffer than a regular bleeder and if left open even a quarter turn will leak. So make sure you get them all the way tightened up. As a last thought, if the old bleeders were rusted in you may want to clean the threads before putting in the speedbleeders. And I am assuming you got the correct ones and the threads matched?

If they're still leaking take them back. I never had one that leaked and I've used them for years on stuff with lots higher brake pressures than a mustang sees.
Yes, it turns out one of the speed bleeders has the check valve inside stuck in the open position (from what they tell me at the place I bought them from) and I guess I will have to replace them.

Thanks for all your help you guys. I appreciate being able to bounce back some things from you all!!!!
Old 10-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Duba

Hate to rehash this old thread, but I have been out of state for a while and unable to work on my mustang.

Ok, more stupid rookie questions. I cannot seem to get the speed bleeders to "seat". It seems that they are tight as I cannot turn them anymore. I don't want to strip it but if it is a "tight" fit then I could try again.

I should have a speed bleeder on every corner (wheel) correct? I went to step on the brake to see if there was more air and a bunch of fluid came out. Should I be cleaning all that up with brake cleaner eh? And what about any that got on the pad themselves.

I have the original stock brake set up with disk on the front and drum on the rear.

I thought this would be better alterative to the mity-vac but I do have one of those as well.

Thanks in advance for responses. I feel really dumb in this instance.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:56 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

The speed bleeders should install the same as a regular bleeders. There is the main body that threads into the caliper/drum backing plate and then the actual bleeder screws into the main body.

Make sure the main body of all 4 bleeders are threaded in tight. Then tighten all the bleeders just like if they were normal bleeders. The crack the RR and bleed. Close it then do the LR, then RF then LF. I use s couple feet of vinyl tubing over the bleeder screw to drain the fluid into a glass jar so it doesn't get all over everything. If need it I use a tiewrap to keep it tight on the bleeder screw.