Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Correct Carb Venturi Size.... 1967 Coupe??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 06:38 PM
kbryan
1st Gear Member

Default Correct Carb Venturi Size.... 1967 Coupe??

Ok, I'm new (both here and with fixing cars) so please bear with me....

I just bought a '67 Coupe that needs some work. The goal is to learn how cars work as I go along so pardon me if I'm asking a stupid question.

The guy I bought the car from said that the carb needed to be rebuilt.... so I pulled it off and took it to a carb exchange place to have it done. The mechanic told me that it was the wrong carb for the car but I'm not entirely sure. He was saying that although it was a 2v carb, the venturi size was too large for my car.

Anyway.... so my first question is..... what is the stock 2v carb venturi size for the 1967 289 Type C engine? Is it Autolite 2100, 1.14?

Second question.... the carb that is currently on there is a Motorcraft but I't know enough to be able to tell if it's correct or not. (pictures attached)

Picture 1

Picture 2

Basically, I want to know if I can just have this one rebuilt or if I need to get a different carb. Also, is there something better in the same price range as a rebuild that is better? (in the $250 or less range) Nothing fancy needed..... Right now I'm just trying to get this thing running well...... I'll work on upgrades later.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 12-05-2009, 11:23 PM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

With the cost of new carbs, im not a fan of rebuilding old ones at this point. Sure its great to learn rebuilding but for reliability forget it..

I understand your trying to get it running but whats your restoration goals first. Are you keeping the car original or resto rod?

That way I could suggest STOCK or Modified carbs for your app
Old 12-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

If you're doing any modding at all and not staying stock for the sake of showing the car I'd step up on the carb and not waste money buying a 'temp' carb. A 4bbl. carb. and 4bbl. intake will slip right on, you'll get better performance AND better mpg (if you keep your foot out of it). The 2bbl. is kinda of a 'trying to do 2 things at once' type of carb. The venturi's are big for slow speeds and too small for highway speeds. A 4 bbl. uses smaller primaries (slow) and larger secondaries (hwy).

I'll have to dig out my shop manual tomorrow and see if it states venturi sizes for the 2bbl. to answer your original question.
Jon
Old 12-06-2009, 08:47 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Yes, the 1.14 is the correct size carb for your application. While a Motorcraft carb is not show correct for your application, it could easily be the correct replacement type, and work perfectly. You could rebuild this carb yourself for $25, assuming nothing on it is broken, etc.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:30 AM
kbryan
1st Gear Member

I'm NOT keeping it stock. I'm not planning to show it and I don't care about resale value. I'm all for mods but I'm new to this game so I'm trying to keep any mods fairly simple for now. I'm pretty good at figuring stuff out (I do building maintenance for a living) but I've never worked on cars so I'm trying to start off slowly.

I've thought about the 4bbl upgrade (looks easy enough) but I'm on a limited budget at the moment and replacing the intake is extra money I don't think I want to spend right now. That would be one of those "upgrades" that I am certainly considering at a later point though.

Right now the situation is..... the girlfriend comes home on the 23rd (she doesn't know I bought this yet).... and I'd like to have it running by then! I'm ok with buying a "temp" carb for this reason. I can always sell it if/when I decide to change it later.

I'm not to keen on trying to rebuild the carb myself because I know nothing about them yet (except basic concepts). I couldn't tell by looking at one if it has all the parts it's supposed to, or functions correctly or not. I need to see it working correctly to understand what "right" is before I can diagnose "wrong" for something like this.

Anyway.... point being.... I'd rather pay to have it done or to buy a new one at this point..... until I understand them better.

So will the one I have work (have it rebuilt)? Or should I swap it out for an Autolite 2100 with 1.14 venturis? Or should I just buy a new one and slap it on there? And if so, what new one do I buy?

Sorry..... I'm more questions than answers!
Old 12-06-2009, 01:19 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kbryan
I've thought about the 4bbl upgrade (looks easy enough) but I'm on a limited budget at the moment and replacing the intake is extra money I don't think I want to spend right now. That would be one of those "upgrades" that I am certainly considering at a later point though.

Right now the situation is..... the girlfriend comes home on the 23rd (she doesn't know I bought this yet).... and I'd like to have it running by then! I'm ok with buying a "temp" carb for this reason. I can always sell it if/when I decide to change it later.

I'm not to keen on trying to rebuild the carb myself because I know nothing about them yet (except basic concepts). I couldn't tell by looking at one if it has all the parts it's supposed to, or functions correctly or not. I need to see it working correctly to understand what "right" is before I can diagnose "wrong" for something like this.

Anyway.... point being.... I'd rather pay to have it done or to buy a new one at this point..... until I understand them better.

So will the one I have work (have it rebuilt)? Or should I swap it out for an Autolite 2100 with 1.14 venturis? Or should I just buy a new one and slap it on there? And if so, what new one do I buy?
There are no useful "new" 2V carburetors for this. No point in paying for a "temporary" Autolite as an alternative. The "wrong" that you may have with your carb is normally perishable parts, like the power valve, accelerator pump, etc. and dirt and crud. A rebuild kit, and a can of carb cleaner (don't forget safety glasses) and a few simple tools is all you need. Know-how? If you can manage to turn on your computer and post on this site, you can rebuild a 2V carb.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:32 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

You are contradicting yourself. You say you want to learn but yet you dont want to take the steps that will teach you. the rebuild kit for that carb is simple. you can find complete idiot proof instrucions online. the rebuild kit is also cheap. you have 17 days til she gets back.
Buy the kit and rebuild it (you can get it at autozone, checker, pep boys ect.). if it doesnt work then you are only out $25. IT IT WORKS THEN YOU SAVE $150 for a rebuild. you can probably buy a rebuilt carb for $199
Old 12-06-2009, 03:37 PM
kbryan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MonsterBilly
You are contradicting yourself. You say you want to learn but yet you dont want to take the steps that will teach you. the rebuild kit for that carb is simple. you can find complete idiot proof instrucions online. the rebuild kit is also cheap. you have 17 days til she gets back.
Buy the kit and rebuild it (you can get it at autozone, checker, pep boys ect.). if it doesnt work then you are only out $25. IT IT WORKS THEN YOU SAVE $150 for a rebuild. you can probably buy a rebuilt carb for $199

I realize that it seems like a contradiction..... at this point it's more important to get it working for sure. I've looked at the instructions on how to rebuild it which is exactly what led me to the decision NOT to do it. They might seem idiot proof for someone that knows a ton about cars.... for me it looked like about fifty different places to screw up something that I can get done by a professional for $70 more. That's a bad trade to me.

All I really want to know is if my current carb will work for my car with a rebuild or if I'm supposed to have something else.

That's the most important question..... Will what I currently have work correctly once rebuilt? Or is it some carb that is just wrong and needs to be switched? I need to know that before any other decisions can be made about what to do.

Last edited by kbryan; 12-06-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:42 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

My first wife rebuilt the carb in her 66, and she barely knew which end of the screwdriver to hold onto. Seriously, if you can remove the carb from the car you can rebuild it. You don't even have to know how it works (she didn't) to get it right, you just have to know how to read. Posting on this forum proves you have what it takes to do this job. Really.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:59 PM
kbryan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
My first wife rebuilt the carb in her 66, and she barely knew which end of the screwdriver to hold onto. Seriously, if you can remove the carb from the car you can rebuild it. You don't even have to know how it works (she didn't) to get it right, you just have to know how to read. Posting on this forum proves you have what it takes to do this job. Really.

Thanks for the encouragement...... but I still don't even know if the carb I have will work correctly.

I'm not going to rebuild it if it's the wrong one to begin with!

Plus.... it could be missing parts for all I know. The last owner did some real rinky-dink repairs so I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case. In that case, even if I rebuild (by swapping and cleaning) it I'm just going to have a freshly rebuilt non-working carb.

Quick Reply: Correct Carb Venturi Size.... 1967 Coupe??