Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

paint shop blues

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:41 PM
stephen.osborne1
2nd Gear Member

Ok, well thank you all for the advice. My wife took tons of pictures each time she visited, so yes, we do have pictures of all the problem...
I am no longer in the Army. I am now a DOD contractor... did 9 1/2 years AD then got out because I'm 80% disabled.
The shop is in Tacoma, WA. So that's a prety major city.
My wife is going to pick up the car on Friday, half stripped and all. She called them today, and the manager was conveniently gone all day. And they won't cough up the owner's name/number.
We have already talked to another shop in town who is a bit more pricey, but they seem to do good work and have offered to put everything in writing. They also say they can get it done before I come home next month.
I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:35 AM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by groho
I don't know specifically where you're located. Media can do allot of damage. Most large cities have news channels, and some of those news channels have journalists that specialize in consumer affair issues such as yours. It's amazing how cooperative companies get when they get bad press on the local TV station. I'd start with your local TV stations and see if they have a consumer hotline or email. Everytime I hear something like this locally, its very funny how the business suddenly becomes "consumer friendly". And being a GI, coming home from deployment, the news media will definitely love this one. Good luck.
Originally Posted by stephen.osborne1
Ok, well thank you all for the advice. My wife took tons of pictures each time she visited, so yes, we do have pictures of all the problem...
I am no longer in the Army. I am now a DOD contractor... did 9 1/2 years AD then got out because I'm 80% disabled.
The shop is in Tacoma, WA. So that's a prety major city.
My wife is going to pick up the car on Friday, half stripped and all. She called them today, and the manager was conveniently gone all day. And they won't cough up the owner's name/number.
We have already talked to another shop in town who is a bit more pricey, but they seem to do good work and have offered to put everything in writing. They also say they can get it done before I come home next month.
I'll keep you posted.
That's better yet. They are trying to cheat a disabled veteran. Even juicier story for the media vultures. Also, after they make it right or you are completely done with them, PLEASE post the name of the shop so anyone else on here can avoid them. I unerstand not doing it until your business is concluded with them.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:01 AM
stephen.osborne1
2nd Gear Member

Will do... but not until I have a check in hand and my car is out of thier grasp... I wish my wife would not have left them the keys... I can just imagine them doing burnouts with my brand new motor, trans and tires... BTW, still no e-mail or phone calls back from them. No surprise really. My wife is going to call every hour today until she can talk to the manager and get some word.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:33 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

go pick up the car......
Old 12-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Doesn't the military have some type of legal assisstance program for you to use, I'm sure a lot of service men/women get taken advantage of like this unfortunately as you're not around to check on things you've paid for. I'd check into that, I'm sure a letter from a military atty. would also carry some weight with the shop hopefully.

Doesn't help now but I would have taken the refund and headed for another shop from the first offer, if they did crappy work for pay just imagine how good the work would be for free...there's no incentive for them to work on a car to fix what they screwed up for free man hours when they can make money on the next car and leave your's sit. Something for others to remember from this lesson.
Good luck and thanks for your service,
Jon
Old 12-10-2009, 06:47 PM
oldrock
2nd Gear Member

well ripping off a disabled vet... too bad that shop isn't in the Dallas area. I'd like to go tell that owner what I think of the way he is acting. I hope that owner gets literally run over by the karma bus and soon!
Old 12-10-2009, 10:18 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jonk67
Doesn't the military have some type of legal assisstance program for you to use, I'm sure a lot of service men/women get taken advantage of like this unfortunately as you're not around to check on things you've paid for. I'd check into that, I'm sure a letter from a military atty. would also carry some weight with the shop hopefully.

Doesn't help now but I would have taken the refund and headed for another shop from the first offer, if they did crappy work for pay just imagine how good the work would be for free...there's no incentive for them to work on a car to fix what they screwed up for free man hours when they can make money on the next car and leave your's sit. Something for others to remember from this lesson.
Good luck and thanks for your service,
Jon
They wont help with civil issues, only if the member decides to get arrested for something, or if there is trouble on base/post/ship. The VA itself wont help much, but if its near Seattle/Tacoma there are a ton of veterans around the area who would love to lend a hand in getting things back on track, and informing the proprietor that he is a dooshnozzle.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:19 PM
64.5stanger
2nd Gear Member

sounds like ud have been beter w/Special Ed doing the work. Thanx 4 serving
Old 12-11-2009, 12:51 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

First of all, I am a business owner and I have a AAA BBB rating. You know what that means? It means that I pay them every year for my membership and rating. It is a joke. It is only an advertising tool.

As far as the recourse, Oldrock is correct. Lawyers wont even take it unless you are asking for a huge amount of money. And, they will take most of it anyways. If you threaten them with a suite they will not even care. I am sure it is a weekly occurance for a shop with this lack of integrity.

get the car! ASAP! Document everything. Send them a certified letter stating the situation, your requests, and your intentions. Give them adequate time to respond, then go to your local court and file a claim in small claims court for the maximum amount.

Small claims court is more of a mediation now a days then anything else. You sit in front of a judge and speak your case. the defendant states their reply and thats about it.

remember that documentation is everything. Including phone records (easy if called with a cell) along with who you talked to.

Thank you for serving.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:55 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Or you can throw a local crack head $200 BUCKS AND A LEAD PIPE and let them have a party with the owner.

A quick google search will tell you who the owner is. if you walk in the front door of the place im sure they must post a business license on the wall. I bet the owners name is on it with a signature! Most shops are required to around here.

Quick Reply: paint shop blues