Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Need advice regarding AOD Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 01:41 AM
drill sargeant

Default AOD SWAP

Nice to come on board on this forum.
I'm mentally exhausted about the same scenario I am going from an original 4speed top loader to an AOD.

Everyone you talk to (transmission shops) they are all over the map...One thing for certain yes you can use the original shifter...Go here http://ford-aod.com and buy 89x that will help you retian the original shifter. Everything you need is there.
You will need this:
Transmission get it from V8 early 90's perferred.
Cross Member
Transmission mounts
Flex Plate
Tourque Converter
Aod Dipstick
SHift linkage to connect transmission to shifter
Probably shortening and balancing your drive shaft
Most important throttle valve cable Thats hooked nice and tight.

I am still working on it anyone know any shops that do this on a regular basis Im getting the run around and shops asking for millions of dollars to do this...Guys if you have done this any where in the Washington State area or western canada Id love to hear from you...

ANyone wants an original rebuilt top loader with everything you need including hurts shifter,pedal,its rebuilt with less than 800 miles on it you get eeverything you need to put it in your stang..mine is hooked to a 5.0 litre ( no FI)....
Back to the AOD swap its so challenging finding the right shop to do it. I cant sleep at night over this wish the wife and kids would just learn how to drive a stick shift..Pains me to take out a toploader.........Ill be here waiting for your responses i will be up all night like an OWL till I get this resolved...
Old 01-31-2010, 11:48 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Shops are probably quoting a big price up front either because they don't really want to do the job (retrofitting an out-of-production tranny into a different and even older chassis) or because they're protecting themselves against having to eat the cost from any little snags that might arise. That said, I don't remember anything all that unusual or that required things like a lift. For just a tranny swap, ramps/jackstands, floor jack, maybe welding equipment, and farm out the driveshaft stuff.

I sort of understand working around the needs or wants of your 'better half' - my wife's sister never learned to drive stick or had any interest in learning either. But the offspring can either learn what it takes to drive stick or not drive that particular car. If they had to learn, they might actually thank you later.

Norm
Old 01-31-2010, 03:13 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69mach1377
That is a good link, thanks.
Can someone expand on the 1-2 shift issue with AODs?
its actually on the 2-3 shift. a stock aod uses the weak inner input shaft on its 2-3 shift which will break on hard shift above ~400hp or so.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:22 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by drill sargeant
Nice to come on board on this forum.
I'm mentally exhausted about the same scenario I am going from an original 4speed top loader to an AOD.

Everyone you talk to (transmission shops) they are all over the map...One thing for certain yes you can use the original shifter...Go here http://ford-aod.com and buy 89x that will help you retian the original shifter. Everything you need is there.
You will need this:
Transmission get it from V8 early 90's perferred.
Cross Member
Transmission mounts
Flex Plate
Tourque Converter
Aod Dipstick
SHift linkage to connect transmission to shifter
Probably shortening and balancing your drive shaft
Most important throttle valve cable Thats hooked nice and tight.
Dont be discouraged I did all my research and put the tranny in myself. never done any work like that before. I just dont trust shops for nothing. the tv cable is a easier than it seems. I changed my valve body, shift kit myself as well. I also hooked up a B&M shifter so the shift linkage was not needed.

Plenty of people here to walk you through it
Old 02-02-2010, 01:48 AM
drill sargeant

Default hi

Hey guys I appreciate the support a lot...Most shops around town are just vultures...

My car was originally an automatic I am getting good money for the top loader which basically pays for the AOD transmission and the tourque converter in full..

Whats really discouraging is my vert does not have quarter window assembly on both sides original owner gave me all new glass but cant find the rest..Coupe quarters wont work and the car on hold anyonr knows where a set is available for a 67-68 vert..Please let me know.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:28 AM
photocliff
2nd Gear Member

On aod the 1 & 2 gear is on the same click on the tranny. It's automatic so while driving it will shift into second at a certain speed and at slower speeds it will shift down into1st. 1&2, Drive(3rd) then & OverDrive(4th). If you put your sift lever in 1st it will put the aod in 1-2nd. Putting the lever in 2nd will put the tranny into regular drive. Putting the lever into "D" is auto overdrive. If in 1st at a stop and then accelerating it will stay in first untill you shift it up manually.....I hope that made sense!