Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Need advice regarding AOD Transmission

Old 12-14-2009, 09:41 AM
leroman
2nd Gear Member

Default Need advice regarding AOD Transmission

I have been toying with the idea of get one cheap @ the U pick yard from an 80's or 90 's mustang , fix it and install it on my '68 ;Since a new one would cost me an arm and a leg.my questions are :

1.which years are the most compatible with 60's mustangs?
2.What list of parts will need to be pulled from the donor car?
3.anything else i should be aware of?

Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:37 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Items 2 and 3 - make sure that you get the throttle valve (TV) cable that runs down to the transmission where the gear selector arm is located (IIRC, it's a concentric shaft). Otherwise, you'll need to get one from the aftermarket. You may have to go aftermarket on this anyway, depending on whether the donor engine is carbureted or uses throttle-body EFI vs multiport EFI (GT). I swapped an AOD into my daughter's '66, but it's been 15 years or so since and I don't remember all of the little details like any crossmember or P-brake tweaking that may have been necessary. I was able to re-use the early shift mechanism complete with the little 'PRNDL' indicator.

This TV cable is not an option, and if you were to hook the AOD up using the 1960's-style kickdown rod you'll burn the AOD up inside a hundred miles (it controls fluid pressure inside the hydraulic circuitry, and low pressure is a big problem). There's a factory method for tuning/adjusting this using gauges, although I seem to recall being able to get it close with the initial setting and tweaking it only a notch or two to make the shift timing better. Without gauges, it's a rather fuzzy "feel" kind of thing that I could probably do again but don't know how to describe.

Your driver side exhaust must absolutely give space priority to running this cable. A friend of mine (who shall remain nameless) found this out the hard way.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-14-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:54 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

I think any AOD that was attached to a 5.0 car will work. You will need a special crossmember IIRC and some misc items that others can chime in about.
There is an issue with being able to control 1,2,3,OD shifts with a 3 gear shifter...
Old 12-14-2009, 02:56 PM
nassaubayman
3rd Gear Member

Make sure it is and AOD, not an AODE. I think '92 and older is AOD.

Then look at the Deluxe AOD Installation Kit on this site:

http://www.transmissioncenter.org/cl...conversion.htm
Old 12-14-2009, 03:07 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

id go for a 4R70W but youd need a tranny controller
Old 12-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69mach1377
I think any AOD that was attached to a 5.0 car will work. You will need a special crossmember IIRC and some misc items that others can chime in about.
There is an issue with being able to control 1,2,3,OD shifts with a 3 gear shifter...
I think I did need to rework the crossmember and tweak the shifter linkage/mechanism a little (still don't know exactly what was involved for either item). Couldn't have been much of a problem or I'd have remembered it.

My point here is that if you can do a little custom fabrication you don't always have to buy the ready-made solutions and/or wait for them to ship.

Norm
Old 12-14-2009, 11:20 PM
photocliff
2nd Gear Member

The t5 crossmember will work.
Mustang Monthly has an article about installing the AOD

Here is a website you should check out
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/..._feature5.html
Old 12-15-2009, 12:34 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

That is a good link, thanks.
Can someone expand on the 1-2 shift issue with AODs?

Last edited by 69mach1377; 12-15-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:01 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

I 've not done this swap but I would suggest grabbing everything and anything, from the flexplate and torque converter, down to the rear yoke. The cross member is an absolute since you'll need one, you might be able to modify this without spending allot of money on another one. Last thing you want to say is "I wish I wudda grabbed. . . "
Old 12-15-2009, 08:02 PM
FasterCat
1st Gear Member

I've got my 67 cougar back on the road with 400HP, 3.89s, and AOD among other things ....

... couple thoughts for you:

1) Research, research, research .... find out EVERYTHING before you do anything

2) Junk Yard parts can be "luck of the draw" .... I bought a low mile trans from a U-pull ... it turned out to be junk .... lesson learned

I ended up buying an AOD rated for 450 HP from "Monster Transmission", for $1100

Great resource for AOD info: http://www.clickclickracing.com/foru...splay.php?f=12

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need advice regarding AOD Transmission