Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

MSD Atomic EFI Install- Not so simple/straightforward, but a DIY project.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Default MSD Atomic EFI Install- Not so simple/straightforward, but a DIY project.

So I haven’t see much in the way of an install thread on the Atomic EFI (or much talk of it on this forum) so I thought I would be the first idiot to post a build thread. I am pretty much done with the install, but haven’t had much time to do a write up because of my work schedule. So, in saying that, my postings will be in parts as time comes available but I hope to have this thread finished in the next 30 days since I am still trying to fine tune the system. Not to throw in any spoilers, the install has been pretty damn frustrating (hopefully this thread will solve those frustrations) but the end results even with very little tuning leaves me speechless…. I can’t wait to put the car on a dyno to do a comparison; which will also be included in this thread.

Let’s get started. See my signature to see the specs of the car. The engine is about 1.5 years old.

The most import part that all build threads should post is….. The total COST(s) (as of 9/12/12):

- MSD Atomic EFI - $2,219.00 (525 hp base kit with fuel pump) PN#2900
- MSD 6a Ignition box – Free (MSD was running a promotion with the Atomic for a free 6a)**see note
- MSD Dizzy Pro-Billet Ready to Run - $271.99 PN#8479 ** see note
- MSD Rotor Phasor - $31.95 PN#84211 ** see note
- MSD 6ft Harness Extension - $42.95 PN#7786
- Profession Products Crosswind Intake - $236.95 PN#54026
- Fuel Sending Unit 3/8 outlet- $43.25 PN#FSU28 (Purchased at CJs)
- Fuel Pump Block off plate - $10 (bought at autozone)
- Misc Parts - $50
- Paid exhaust shop to weld the 02 bung in my header - $20

Total so far: $2,926.00

I already had a:
-Flamethrower II coil which is compatible with the system.
-MSD ignition plug wires.

I will explain in this thread why I bought what I did and will also explain what NOT to buy as I had to send some stuff back. I will also be putting my old setup on Ebay for anyone interested.

Notes:
** These parts are needed if you intend to use the Atomic EFI to its fullest. There is no work around that is recommended. 99% of the problems I have found on MSD's website is because people use work arounds or other vendors parts.

PART TWO- To follow

Last edited by Stangatic; 09-12-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Wow, thats $1500+ more then my Powerjection 3 was.

I'll be sure watch this.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Well.... FAST EFX's new advertisement says "Don't make an Atomic mistake"! lol

I was considering on buying the Powerjection 3 but have been pretty disappointed with all my Professional Products buys. I further backed up my suspicion with their products when I bought their intake manifold for this build.

I would look at my total costs for someone that doesn't already some of the parts (MSD dizzy, MSD 6a box).

You could have saved me some bones if you did a thread on the Powerjection 3! Was it as "straightforward" simple bolt on and go?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

^Iskwezm- That Price had to be for the Powerjection 3 without the fuel pump kit. It's $1,800 for the full blown kit.... Still cheaper though. I think the MSD Atomic is $1,900 without the fuel pump kit.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Pics or it dint happen.... :-)
Old 09-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Oh I got photos, videos, and will have Dyno graph w/ video.

Name:  Pic2.jpg
Views: 2584
Size:  92.9 KB

Name:  Pic1.jpg
Views: 2290
Size:  132.7 KB
Old 09-12-2012, 08:14 PM
347 stang
1st Gear Member

Looks good... you will love it when you get it tuned! I wouldn't trade mine for any other set up.
Attached Thumbnails MSD Atomic EFI Install- Not so simple/straightforward, but a DIY project.-msd.jpg.jpg  
Old 09-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stangatic
^Iskwezm- That Price had to be for the Powerjection 3 without the fuel pump kit. It's $1,800 for the full blown kit.... Still cheaper though. I think the MSD Atomic is $1,900 without the fuel pump kit.
I got my COMPLETE(with fuel pump) kit for $1460.00(plus the 80 lb injectors). i have zero complaints about it and install time was about 10 hours total including running to the auto parts store and taking breaks.It wouldve been faster but i had to find -10 to -6 AN fittings from my previous carb set up. other then a 3 wire hook up, bolt on the throttle body,wire fuel pump and fuel line, turn the key and go. i did have to do my own tuning because of the turbo.

my buddy as the Fast EZ EFI and he hates it and he didnt even pay for it.

Last edited by Iskwezm; 09-13-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

So your running the Powerjection 3 in your 65 which is force fed.... That's my big gripe with MSD at this moment is that the Atomic only supports N/A engines. MSD is supposedly working on this and has been making subtle improvements (they just added MAP sensors a few months ago). You must have some connections to score a deal like that especially with the 80lb injectors..
Old 09-13-2012, 11:28 AM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

For all those wondering - I am currently trying to fix the Idle dieing as soon as you lift off the gas or in my case disengage the clutch. After that's solved I should be good to go.

Hoping to have part two out tonight.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MSD Atomic EFI Install- Not so simple/straightforward, but a DIY project.