Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

carb question (PV)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:04 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

cool .. i remember the idle to be around 12-15 vacuum, so that 4.5 PV that was in there couldn't have been more wrong. i have that 7.5 in for the moment, but should go even higher I guess but I'll measure while driving for that. great hint withg the pump shot, never thought of that. The PV I have in now is new, as well as the gasket, but I'll keep that in mind as I can imagine this to cause all sorts of trouble
i just checked the stock jetting on those an they are 70/78, which seems a _lot_ for my engine. with the holley i was running 60s at the front (and i think 64 at the back). but I'll just put it back to what it was and try again. unfortunately they said the weather is staying the same for the next 2 weeks. we never have ice in south of Ireland. at least not that much
Old 01-25-2010, 08:35 PM
ic237
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
Thanks for reply, always very much appreciated.
The carb came with a jetting of ~72 in the front and although there was no hesitation anywhere it was running pig rich everywhere. I liked the way it drove since there was no hesitation anywhere, but it was sooting up my sparkers and I wanted to get it where it should be. so i changed the front ones for something like 62 and it was running at a better A/F during cruise. I didn't change the rear ones yet. so at cruise (no matter if 40,50 or 60mph) the ratio is ok, but as soon as I partially accellerate (all without the secondaries it starts getting leaner and leaner). so i was hoping it was the fact the PV wouldn't kick in (still too much vacuum).
When I fully floor it (secondaries opening) it goes rich all thge way again, otherwise (and fully agreed) I wouldn't do that to her.

When I get at home I'll check on the carb to answer your questions in full.

btw: fuel pressure is constant 6psi and float levels were correctly set.
Be a little cautious with the air fuel sensors. They are not lab grade and do not respond well to instantaneous changes in fuel ratios. I would recommend tuning to a slow gradual change in speed and load.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:57 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

I have changed the pv from 4.5 to 6.5 now since idle is around 12 I might even go higher I got a long hose for vac gauge which I'll intall on my next drive so I can see what's what. It doesn't seem to lean out anymore but when I get the lm1 going again I'll know for sure. I have it quite good now. So if I spent a full saturdayon it I believe I can get it better than ever. I'm in china at the moment so have to wait til I get back. Lm/1 support says accoring to error code it's rather the cable which is good news. I'm so eager to get playing with it again. Especially since I mounted the ignitionbox I get correct rpm reading