Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Quiet the exhaust down

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:02 PM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

Default Quiet the exhaust down

Hi,

Don't get me wrong, I do not regret buying my Flowmaster 40 series but I would like to know if you know of some simple ways to quiet them down a little bit. Basically I cannot listen to music anymore and that's too bad because from time to time I like it

I am thinking about doing something in the trunk since it is pretty much bare metal and it communicates with the interior? Any idea?

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2010, 12:09 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Before you take a hacksaw to the flowies, install all the soundproofing prior owners threw away. In the back end alone, there should be a pad on top of the fuel tank, pad under the package tray between seat and window, glued to the back of the quarter trim panels, and glued to the C pillars hidden by the headliner. Also on the transition panel, behind the rear seat, and under the rear seat. No need the get exotic, all this stuff is available new, die-cut as original, which works pretty well when it isn't missing.

Typically these pads are a dense jute felt. Some have a heavy asphaultum layer, which should be on top of the felt.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 01-09-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:35 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I couldn't stand the Flowmasters. They resonate inside the car and make it impossible to talk to other passengers or hear the radio. My car has insulation in the appropriate areas. I went to Dynomax Ultraflo. I love how they sound. Magnaflow sounds good too. The excess interior noise is mostly because they are chambered mufflers. I would rather have glasspacks than Flows. In my opinion straight through is better than chambered anyway.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 01-10-2010 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:19 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

We originally had CherryBomb Pro mufflers on our 2 1/2" exhaust and let me tell you about LOUD! Sounded great at idle however they got TOO loud really fast. People could hear me coming/going almost a mile away! Everyone loved the sound except the folks on our street.

Wife wanted Flowmasters but couldn't find them local so went with the Magnaflows. Certainly not quiet but 100% better then the CB Pros.

If anyone wants OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD mufflers give these a try :-)
Old 01-10-2010, 07:35 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

One other important note- Do you have an H-pipe or crosstube in your exhaust?

These add hp by spreading the exhaust pulse to both sides, but a side effect is they make the exhaust less harsh. Worth doing either way- It adds 5-15 horsepower. Pretty good for a little piece of pipe. The closer it is to the engine, the better.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:45 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

+that! I kept telling my father to get an H-pipe added to decrease the drone inside the car. He finally did last year and it made a huge difference both inside and outside. He couldn't believe it made that much of a difference.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:46 AM
BlackFlame
1st Gear Member

Another option on top of the sound deadening and cross-over/h-pipe (I would get both anyhow) is to add resonators. They are usually really effective and stopping the inside DRONE of exhaust sound...and arent horrible expensive from say summit racing either..
Old 01-10-2010, 01:39 PM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

Hum, that's interesting! I do have straights pipes and haven't had time to install an H-Pipe yet.

I think that I will start with that then, I don't really mind about getting more hp, I just did not know that it would make such a different in terms of noise!

Any recommendation on how to do it? Any shop can install one?

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Any muffler shop, yes. It won't be a night and day difference (I think it'll still be way too loud), but it will reduce some of the raspiness, mellowing out the exhaust note a little.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:12 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Any decent muffler shop can add a crosstube in between the exhaust pipes.

Quick Reply: Quiet the exhaust down