Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Old heads off... getting to know my engine (pics)

Old 01-16-2010, 05:40 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Default Old heads off... getting to know my engine (pics)

Got both heads off, which was my goal for today. Had a couple of positive signs.

These are the plugs from the side that was pulling in oil through the valve stems. The dirty one was one that wasn't cleaned prior to installing new seals.

Pulled one lifter and it had no signs of real wear. Those aren't scratches, it's lint.

Measured the bore and it appears that it is the original and there is no ridge at the top. Good? No?

I have no idea what pistons are installed, nor the cam.

GT40 Heads I am going to install, hopefully tomorrow

I lapped the valves.

If anyone wants to jump in and guide me, by all means do so.
I won't be offended. This is the first time I have ever removed heads.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Clean the deck surface very, very, very very well. It needs to be flat and clean. No bits of gasket material, no oil, no nothing. Start with a good gasket scraper and move to a steel wire brush after all of the big stuff is gone. Some carb cleaner helps soften the leftover gasket material. After everything is clean, spray with brakleen, wipe down with a clean rag, then spray with brakleen again.

Use Permatex #2 on the lower head bolts to seal up the threads. Use the proper torque sequence and go in increments. Double and triple check every bolt to make sure they're torqued properly.

Get yourself an adjustable pushrod length checker. Comp Cams has a pretty slick micrometer-type unit that doesn't require measuring. Then you can make sure you get the proper length pushrods for your setup.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:11 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
Clean the deck surface very, very, very very well. It needs to be flat and clean. No bits of gasket material, no oil, no nothing. Start with a good gasket scraper and move to a steel wire brush after all of the big stuff is gone. Some carb cleaner helps soften the leftover gasket material. After everything is clean, spray with brakleen, wipe down with a clean rag, then spray with brakleen again..
I will do that. The heads came off with no effort aside from grunting and groaning when I had to lift them out of the engine bay, so what is left is spooge and oil. The gaskets were intact and didn't stick at all.

Use Permatex #2 on the lower head bolts to seal up the threads. Use the proper torque sequence and go in increments. Double and triple check every bolt to make sure they're torqued properly.
I have the permatex sealer and from what I read in my "Rebuilding Small Block Ford Book" that I should use it on all bolts to get same torque readings on all. Is that correct?

Get yourself an adjustable pushrod length checker. Comp Cams has a pretty slick micrometer-type unit that doesn't require measuring. Then you can make sure you get the proper length pushrods for your setup.
I have a pushrod length checker. I ordered that over the summer as well as a gasket scraper.

Thanks for the help.

Should I leave the piston tops alone or should they be cleaned and if so how?
Old 01-16-2010, 09:18 PM
1965screamer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scootchu
Should I leave the piston tops alone or should they be cleaned and if so how?
I usually clean them off with a wire wheel in the drill.

Just curious, what did you pull the GT40 heads off of?
Old 01-16-2010, 10:07 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1965screamer
I usually clean them off with a wire wheel in the drill.

Just curious, what did you pull the GT40 heads off of?
Good question, as I don't know. I bought them for $200 used.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:15 PM
1965screamer
2nd Gear Member

If you would, let me know how you like them because my Dad is thinking about putting a set on his coupe.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:19 AM
Dutch65Mustang
1st Gear Member

Did nobody notice this ? The piston is not good, maybe i see it wrong but a piece is broken of and i can see the pistonring !
Old 01-17-2010, 06:27 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

don't forget to blow out the threads for the head bolts with compressed air. you probably know that already, but i thought i throw it in. your plugs look a bit on the rich side. and check on those speckles on the insulator, could be a sign of pinging
and that bit missing in the piston you picture, check if the other pistons are the same (on the far left edge of piston, just between the reliefs)

Last edited by kalli; 01-17-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:42 AM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dutch65Mustang

Did nobody notice this ? The piston is not good, maybe i see it wrong but a piece is broken of and i can see the pistonring !
No, they are all notched this way. I believe it indicates the front of the piston, BUT I have read that some installed pistons backwards in order to gain some horsepower. That's another topic, not wanting to open a can of worms.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:31 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scootchu
No, they are all notched this way. I believe it indicates the front of the piston, BUT I have read that some installed pistons backwards in order to gain some horsepower. That's another topic, not wanting to open a can of worms.
They aren't notched or broken out in this pic like the one posted.

The left side and top of this piston appear to have issues when you compare them to the pic I posted above, the others don't look like this.

Lynn

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Old heads off... getting to know my engine (pics)