Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

347, 302, 289 guys.... post your engine set ups.. new 347 in the works

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 03:03 PM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

I am using a new Boss block
Forged Scat Crank
Scat forgedH beam rods
Probe dished pistons
Camshaft Innovations custom grind cam
Trick flow Fast as Cast 190 heads
LSX valve springs and ferrea 6000 valves
comp cams magnum roller rockers
comp cams billet timing chain
comp cams roller lifters
Trick flow Track heat intake
Vortech V2SQ blower with a smaller pulley
Water/Methanol Injection
Headman headers
2 1/2" exhaust with flowmaster 50's
42 lb injectors (may have to go up to 60 lb)
SCT chip with a custom tune

I am waiting on a radiator to be built but the combo should deliver 525-550 rear wheel horsepower. Likely more but I will detune it to make it more streetable.

If you are looking for that 500+ hp I think you should consider an aftermarket block, mexian block or an origianl boss block. I would be concerned thatbuilding an engine with that much power on a standard block would stress it to its limitations. In the long run if you break you block it can take everyting else out along with it. That is the reason I decided to put a Boss block in my car. Peace of mind means a lot and now I have a combo that could handle 1000+/- hp.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:24 PM
ventagemod67
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 68EFIvert
I am using a new Boss block
Forged Scat Crank
Scat forgedH beam rods
Probe dished pistons
Camshaft Innovations custom grind cam
Trick flow Fast as Cast 190 heads
LSX valve springs and ferrea 6000 valves
comp cams magnum roller rockers
comp cams billet timing chain
comp cams roller lifters
Trick flow Track heat intake
Vortech V2SQ blower with a smaller pulley
Water/Methanol Injection
Headman headers
2 1/2" exhaust with flowmaster 50's
42 lb injectors (may have to go up to 60 lb)
SCT chip with a custom tune

I am waiting on a radiator to be built but the combo should deliver 525-550 rear wheel horsepower. Likely more but I will detune it to make it more streetable.

If you are looking for that 500+ hp I think you should consider an aftermarket block, mexian block or an origianl boss block. I would be concerned thatbuilding an engine with that much power on a standard block would stress it to its limitations. In the long run if you break you block it can take everyting else out along with it. That is the reason I decided to put a Boss block in my car. Peace of mind means a lot and now I have a combo that could handle 1000+/- hp.
wow very nice set up! i think if i went efi i would go turbo.. which has crossed my mind. was the conversion to FI easy? If you dont mind me asking... around how much do you have in your setup. sounds wicked to me.. i was just trying to use some stuff i had around here.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:32 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Well, let's back up a second. What do you plan on doing with the car? Drag race? Street cruiser? Road race? Daily driver? Dual purpose mix of among those? That will dictate what kind of setup you need.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:22 PM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ventagemod67
wow very nice set up! i think if i went efi i would go turbo.. which has crossed my mind. was the conversion to FI easy? If you dont mind me asking... around how much do you have in your setup. sounds wicked to me.. i was just trying to use some stuff i had around here.
I agree with 67Mustang302 and determine what your goal is before you go to far. That was my problem and the project quickly went out of control. Realistically to convert to EFI and do what I have done I would guess the cost to be about $15k. Maybe a little cheaper but when you throw in the fuel system needs, cooling system updates, injectors, chips for the computer, tuning and all the little things that sneak up. It gets expensive quickly.

As far as converting to EFI it is pretty simple. I found the fuel system to take the most planning. I made changes to it 3 times because of my goals of the car changed that many times. I purchased a harness from FordFuelinjection.com because wiring is not my cup of tea. I was worried if I had a wiring problem I wouldn't be able to trouble shoot it. At that time I also was not on the message boards so I did not have all of you guys to help. JamesW has a great site that I found after my conversion was done.

If you just go efi and keep it simple then the costs should be very reasonable to go that direction.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:46 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

When I have the money I'm just gonna get FAST's EZ-EFI.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:04 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ventagemod67
the 351 i have is a '85 PI 351. know anything about those heads? i think that was the first year of FI of the crown vic
do you have the numbers on those heads? i doubt there really anything special. what was the motor out of?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:13 PM
FasterCat
1st Gear Member

Default Heads, Cam, and Intake

Twisted Wedge Heads, Cam, and Edelbrock RPM Air Gap

and: http://treperformance.com/i-133555-f...ort-block.html

.... I wanted it to be just under 400 crank HP .... we'll see when I get it on the dyno ...
Old 01-24-2010, 10:04 AM
ventagemod67
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
Well, let's back up a second. What do you plan on doing with the car? Drag race? Street cruiser? Road race? Daily driver? Dual purpose mix of among those? That will dictate what kind of setup you need.
I dont want a drag car or anything really raced out. I want a nice street machine with enough kick to keep up with the LS based motors so I'd say if I did put it on the track.. I'd like to have a low 12 out of it. All of that and still be able to compete in a car show. I do all the work myself with some help from my dad so I can save alot on labor.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:06 AM
ventagemod67
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by racin66coupe
do you have the numbers on those heads? i doubt there really anything special. what was the motor out of?
They are probably smog heads.. they came off of a '85 crown vic police interceptor.. I can get the numbers later.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:08 AM
ventagemod67
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 68EFIvert
I agree with 67Mustang302 and determine what your goal is before you go to far. That was my problem and the project quickly went out of control. Realistically to convert to EFI and do what I have done I would guess the cost to be about $15k. Maybe a little cheaper but when you throw in the fuel system needs, cooling system updates, injectors, chips for the computer, tuning and all the little things that sneak up. It gets expensive quickly.

As far as converting to EFI it is pretty simple. I found the fuel system to take the most planning. I made changes to it 3 times because of my goals of the car changed that many times. I purchased a harness from FordFuelinjection.com because wiring is not my cup of tea. I was worried if I had a wiring problem I wouldn't be able to trouble shoot it. At that time I also was not on the message boards so I did not have all of you guys to help. JamesW has a great site that I found after my conversion was done.

If you just go efi and keep it simple then the costs should be very reasonable to go that direction.
did you cut your shock towers out?

Quick Reply: 347, 302, 289 guys.... post your engine set ups.. new 347 in the works