Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

DIY Rear Disk Brakes ($200)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

Default DIY Rear Disk Brakes ($200)

Haven't gotten around to finishing up the front set-up but I figured I'd take a stab at doing something for the rear. This process can be applied to just about any rear end.

Before you go on, I must say first there is a little bit of welding required but not much.

I'm starting off with a Versallies rear end that I had put in the car a couples years back but was never happy with the brakes. I believe it would be better to start off with rear end that has drums stock.

Here is what was already on the car:

Here is what I plan on finishing with:

Doesn't look like much difference but there is a difference in diameter and the calipers I will be using are cheaper, work better, and are in abundance.

So off with the old. Removed caliper, and rotor, and the bearing retainer hardware:

Then with a mallet, and a couple of taps, the axle starts to work its way out:

I will not be using the stock caliper mounts but will re-use it as a bearing retainer. I will be swapping out to regular bearing retainers next time I switch out axle bearings but in the mean time this will have to do. If you would like to use simpler retainers try these from Summit, just choose your axle:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...s/?Ns=Rank|Asc

One thing I will have to do is cut off the old caliper mount tabs because they will be in my way. Using an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel, I remove both tabs and grind down if needed:

Re-install axle:

Now to the rotors. These rotors are the same I am using for my front set-up. 11.5" diameter, 1" thick ordered for the front of a 1995 Crown Victoria. $45 each with a 2yr warranty, or $31 each with a 1yr warranty. Here they are compared to the Versallies rotors:

Installed on the axle:

For calipers, I will also be using GM big bore non-metric calipers from Autozone ordered for the front of a 1975 *cough*Chevrolet*cough* Impala. $12 each with core, $23 each without core. Lifetime warranty:

You will also notice they have brackets mounted to them already. These brackets can be bought through either www.speedwaymotors.com or www.southwestspeed.com for about $10 each.

New Brake Pads from Autozone with Lifetime warranty as well: $24

I did have to grind down the brackets from where it mounts to the axle housing (shown in red) until I was happy with the fit of the caliper over the rotor:

Once I was happy with the fit, I slipped the caliper over and tacked the caliper mount in place. I ran out of time so I have not welded the bracket in completely yet but will do so next weekend:

One thing to note is that once this bracket is welded in place, two anchor bolts for the bearing retainer will not be able to come off the housing but it will not affect the removal of the bearing retainer plate what-so-ever as the nuts are on the outside. I do not see this being a problem unless you strip or break one of those anchor bolts.

So the tally:
Rotors: $90
Calipers: $25
Pads: $25
Brackets: $20
AN fittings: $10
Retainer Plates if bought new: $15

Total: $185 + shipping charges on some of this stuff and tax. About $200.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:54 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

sweet!
Old 01-24-2010, 07:02 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

what size wheels will you have to run with the setup?
Old 01-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

15"x8" with 4.5" BS
Old 01-24-2010, 07:07 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

on the front, too?
Old 01-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

Yes. My understanding is that a 15x8 wheel with work on the front with a 4.5" BS.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:24 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

oh sweet, im really liking your writeups and im gunna do the same, atleast the front
Old 01-24-2010, 08:36 PM
NuclearMuscle523
SCAM ALERT! This person is known around the internet for ripping people off. You've been warned.

I want to know how to do this for a ford 9" with drums. Also, I have the spindles, rotors, and calipers I will be using for the front of the 69, can I swap to those parts on this spindle?
Old 01-28-2010, 11:27 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

^ he is doing this on a ford 9 inch and yeah it will work and infact be easier with drums as you dont have the huge bearing retainer with caliper mounts. so a quick answer would be yes.. haha
Old 01-29-2010, 02:52 PM
NuclearMuscle523
SCAM ALERT! This person is known around the internet for ripping people off. You've been warned.

Well, I'm still newb with no clue. ??????

Quick Reply: DIY Rear Disk Brakes ($200)