Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Firewall Pad Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:19 PM
ntriska

Default Firewall Pad Install Help

Okay...so I am in the process of rebuilding my 68 coupe and I ordered a new firewall pad and am having the worst time trying to get the new one back in. Unfortunately, when I removed the old one it only had two plugs holding it in and was completely rotten. Does anyone have any tips to get it in and/or photos of where the plugs should go and the pad routed by the steering column. Not gonna lie...feel like an idiot. Thanks for any help!
Old 02-24-2010, 12:16 AM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

I just did this in my '67, the plugs that came with the kit were too big, I drilled the holes up one size but I read the '68's were larger holes? I started from the right floorboard side and lined up the holes for the heater box first, clamped it in place through the blower motor hole then located the plug hole to the right that would line up or drilled a new one in fenderwell area. I don't think the repop pads line up well so I made do. I worked my way to the drivers side and only used 2 or 3 plugs as some of the stuff that mounts to the firewall holds it in place also. I had to cut the hole for the fusebox to sit into it as it was way off. This stuff is a Hillary to cut, it will quickly dull a razor knife so I cut the rubber top with the razor knife then use heavy duty scissors to cut the shapes out. I may be able to get some pics this weekend, not easy to do under the dash with everything in the way..
Jon
Old 03-10-2010, 10:22 PM
ntriska

Jon,
Thanks for the advice. It certainly does not line up the best. Question on the driver side...where does the insulation go through/around the steering column area? is it really just mashing it through the small space? Thanks again for your help!
Old 03-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, it's probably tight to get around the column area with the pedal box there, I had my column and pedal box out at the time. I would try to work it through there a bit at a time until it's hanging down. I had a hard time getting it around my washer pump foot pedal as I had already installed it.
I'm traveling this week and will try to remember to get some pics this weekend if they'll help any, you might want to PM me Sat. to remind me if so.
Jon
Old 03-11-2010, 09:31 PM
ntriska

Perfect! Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Here's the best pics I could take under the dash, sorry for the mess, I still gotta figure out where all my wires go after pulling everything off the firewall and vacuum. I put in sound deadener first which is the black surface:

Passengers:

Drivers:

Let me know if you have any trouble viewing or need more info.
Jon
Old 03-16-2010, 03:12 PM
ntriska

Thank you very much Jon. I think I got everything I need to get this taken care of!!