Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 02-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
spankythedog

Vehicle: 1965 stang
Default carb trouble

Hi. I recently had my 65 289 mustang sitting for a period of about 3 months, Started out when my brakes went out, and because of the stock booster it took me some time to figure out how to make parts to connect a dual master cylinder off of a 67. Finally got that figured out and now it wont idle properly. I took it for a test drive with the new brakes, and it worked fine (well the brakes were a little slack, but fixed after i rebled them). I noticed that there was some gas leaking from the carburetor onto the the intake manifold, saw a bad gasket, and replaced it. Now when i try starting it, it sounds like its running well when i give it gas, but if i try to let it idle it dies. Hoping it was just the idleing arm, i adjusted that, but no luck, runs, but idles out. The Carburetor on it is the stock 4100, and i noticed that the automatic choke was disconnected on it. Is it possible theres some damage to it? I notice it seems to be burning to rich a mixture and id like to not catch my mustang on fire. Any suggestions?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
spankythedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
Oxnard Montalvo
Boner Exspurt

Vehicle: 1968 Camaro SS

Buy a quality kit and rebuild the 4100?
Old 02-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 mustang fastback

Check your float levels. Def don't be driving it if its overflowing with gas and also have a fire extinguisher near

1965 Mustang Fastback 302
1998 Mustang 3.8L
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
nba1341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 Mustang Conv 5.0 EFI

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Since you were doing brake work, check the vacuum hose to the booster.

http://mustangefiswap.blogspot.com/
MustangBradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
spankythedog

ok. I put a plug on the booster vacuum line, however i will check. thanks.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:26 AM   #6
kalli
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1964, Ford, Mustang

i would suggest vacuum leak as well. if you have a big leak it wont idle and if you have the curb idle set so that ther engine will idle (high) then you can see a bit of petrol spilling from the boosters. telltale signs. plug everything at manifold and carb and see how that goes
CSRP disc brakes front and FRPP discs back.
http://www.gascc.ie

kalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
spankythedog

thanks, ill have more time to diagnose tommorow, btw kalli, those wheels are freaking awesome.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #8
kalli
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1964, Ford, Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankythedog View Post
thanks, ill have more time to diagnose tommorow, btw kalli, those wheels are freaking awesome.
thx :-) they are Cragar Quick Trick I
they are cheap, but they are steel, not alloy (very heavy), they rust very very easy and constant so I have to clean them all the time. really annoying. PITA wheels, but look good. Still I'll replace them with alloys at some stage as I can't do the cleaning up anymore.

Kalli
CSRP disc brakes front and FRPP discs back.
http://www.gascc.ie

kalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #9
spankythedog

i know its been forever, but i skipped town for a bit. I ended up rebuilding the carburetor and found out that the problem was that i had accidentally moved the idle screw when i was replacing the gasket. problem solved haha. Well now i know how a carburetor works :P
Old 03-16-2010, 03:13 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1966, 4100, 65, 72, carb, carburetor, dies, float, gas, levels, mustang, overflowing, runs, trouble