Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Edelbrock Air Gap Dual Quad - fit and performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 04:14 PM
RWP289

Default Edelbrock Air Gap Dual Quad - fit and performance

I have an early 65 Convertible with a warmed over small block. I have always wanted to build one with dual quads. I know that i will likely lose a little horsepower but that's okay.

Edlebrock makes two DQ manifolds for the SBF: a low rise F-28 and a 1" higher Air Gap. The F-28 will fit but I like the specs of the Air Gap. Three questions:

Will the Air Gap Dual Quad manifold fit under a standard 65 hood?

Did you have distributor clearance issues?

Has anyone run either of these (F-28 or Air Gap) and if so, how did it perform?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2010, 07:41 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Well, I think you would like to be hit in the head with a hammer better than trying to tune a dual quad carb setup. Getting two carbs matched and tuned together is not easy. That being said, I run a single carb air gap on my 69 and love it. It is about the best performing dual plane intake out there. The problem is the height. It barely fits my '69 with drop base air cleaner. I am not sure it will fit a 64-66 without putting in a cowl induction hood. On a side note, Dr. J's Performance and a few other performance companies have a porting service for these intakes that can really make them scream.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:05 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RWP289
I have an early 65 Convertible with a warmed over small block. I have always wanted to build one with dual quads. I know that i will likely lose a little horsepower but that's okay.
I had multi-carbs for years on my driver. Nothing like the "wow" factor when you pop the hood.

I know a guy who has one of these on a 66, under a stock Shelby hood:

Old 02-01-2010, 08:35 PM
RWP289

You're right about the hammer, but in my younger days I owned a 67 MG-B with dual SUs. Much harder to tune than the Holleys.

I plan to use a progressive linkage setup and the reading I have done says that it will run mostly on the rear carb, except for hard acceleration. With vacuum secondary 390s, it should stay in synch fairly well.

Mostly, I want to ensure I have clearance and I am interested in the performance difference (part throttle torque, hard accel, etc) between the Air Gap and the F-28.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:55 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

The RPM air gap on my son's 66 BARELY cleared the hood with a MIGHTY DEMON (no choke) with a VERY, VERY, low profile air cleaner, there is no air cleaner made that will fit with a 66 with an RPM Air Gap and a more conventional carb.

I will be adding a SHAKER in the very near future, I will be posting a thread about the installation and my anticipated REPOP of a shaker at a lot less cost than the ones offered now.

There will be at least one repop anyway.... I guess if it was easy everyone would be doing it right?

So back on topic, I really, really, really, doubt that you will get everything under hood if you go dual quad air gap.

Last edited by JMD; 02-01-2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-01-2010, 11:34 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
The RPM air gap on my son's 66 BARELY cleared the hood with a MIGHTY DEMON (no choke) with a VERY, VERY, low profile air cleaner, there is no air cleaner made that will fit with a 66 with an RPM Air Gap and a more conventional carb.

I will be adding a SHAKER in the very near future, I will be posting a thread about the installation and my anticipated REPOP of a shaker at a lot less cost than the ones offered now.

There will be at least one repop anyway.... I guess if it was easy everyone would be doing it right?

So back on topic, I really, really, really, doubt that you will get everything under hood if you go dual quad air gap.
Mine fit. 66 mustang with rpm air gap and holley 4 barrel. The air cleaner is short, not sure right off hand how short.

to the thread starter:
However, with dual quads your air cleaner choices will be few. If you find a way to fit it into a 65/6 shelby hood then you should post it for others to learn from.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:07 AM
RWP289

I read somewhere that the early 65 motor mounts are about an inch lower than the late 65 - 67 mounts. Does anyone have any experieince, knowledge, etc about that?
Old 02-02-2010, 09:22 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Well we used an air cleaner with a big drop and a filter a little more than an inch tall, this filter more or less seals against the bottom of the hood, which really isint good....

There are several good fixes for this problem, but none quite as fun as using a shaker...
Old 02-02-2010, 09:30 AM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

isnt his car a 408 though? it would be taller than the 289..
Old 02-02-2010, 09:30 AM
482supersnake

With either of the Edelbrock manifolds you will need to run there carbs or find some old Carters and have them rebuilt, the Holleys will not fit on there manifolds. http://store.survivalmotorsports.com...barrel-wi.html
If it were me I would go this route. Scott

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Air Gap Dual Quad - fit and performance