Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

modern 5 speed swap...do i really have to cut my car? :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 03:09 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

This is hole I had to cut in the shifter hole on both T5's that I have done. It almost looks like you could get away with not trimming the hole but it looks like the shifter boot would rub on the sheet metal when shifting. The small amount of trimming that is need is not that big a deal. You could put the car back stock and no body would ever know the difference.
Attached Thumbnails modern 5 speed swap...do i really have to cut my car? :(-dsc02326.jpg  
Old 02-18-2010, 09:41 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I meant to put it on the lift today but I kind of forgot and then ran out of time once I remembered. I will try again tomorrow.....
Old 02-18-2010, 09:53 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
This is hole I had to cut in the shifter hole on both T5's that I have done. It almost looks like you could get away with not trimming the hole but it looks like the shifter boot would rub on the sheet metal when shifting. The small amount of trimming that is need is not that big a deal. You could put the car back stock and no body would ever know the difference.
That is about what I did on mine.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:31 PM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

Here is how I put a 6 speed in my car. No cutting and great angles.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mo...onversion.html
Old 02-18-2010, 11:58 PM
synthartist69
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by built67
thanks for all the helpful info guys...cprstreetmachines, i don't actually have to cut the trans tunnel at all then? what do you guys think about silverblade's idea saying that i could go with lower motor mounts?

I am going to go with a heavy duty T5. I plan to run a mild streetable 331 stroker. It will be somewhere around 370hp.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:18 AM
built67
2nd Gear Member

thanks for all the help guys...i actually just got off the phone with modern drive line and this is what he told me (he was very honest too)...a full t-5z (a bit beefier than a t-5) conversion kit with a kevlar clutch will run around 3200...but even at 425hp i have to be careful and shouldnt run it at the track...i can get a tko600 for 900 bucks more and i dont have to cut the tunnel or air hammer it, just drop the tail end an inch and it will fit (but be a tight fit)... but then my pinion angle will change and i will have to correct that (which i dont know how i would do that)...4 grand is a lot for a tko kit in my opinion...as fun as a 5 speed would be i feel like i can have an aod conversion done for half the price and run 500hp without worrying about it blowing up. what do u guys think?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:21 AM
built67
2nd Gear Member

68EFIVERT...you were able to install a T56 with no cutting at all? i read the post u put up through that link and it look like u just used 1/2 inch drop motor mounts and adjustable cross member?
Old 02-19-2010, 01:10 PM
1971mach1
2nd Gear Member

thanks for all the help guys...i actually just got off the phone with modern drive line and this is what he told me (he was very honest too)...a full t-5z (a bit beefier than a t-5) conversion kit with a kevlar clutch will run around 3200...but even at 425hp i have to be careful and shouldnt run it at the track...i can get a tko600 for 900 bucks more and i dont have to cut the tunnel or air hammer it, just drop the tail end an inch and it will fit (but be a tight fit)... but then my pinion angle will change and i will have to correct that (which i dont know how i would do that)...4 grand is a lot for a tko kit in my opinion...as fun as a 5 speed would be i feel like i can have an aod conversion done for half the price and run 500hp without worrying about it blowing up. what do u guys think?
An AOD will handle 500hp?? I've heard those aren't quite that strong.
Maybe a late model AODE from a Shelby would handle that, but then you
also have to deal with the computer.
If your present transmission is good, just add an overdrive unit from
Gear Vendors. Their units are good for serious drag racing and only about $2300, no linkage req.

A side note, usually a transmission is rated by ft/lb torque, rather than HP.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:52 PM
built67
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971mach1
An AOD will handle 500hp?? I've heard those aren't quite that strong.
Maybe a late model AODE from a Shelby would handle that, but then you
also have to deal with the computer.
If your present transmission is good, just add an overdrive unit from
Gear Vendors. Their units are good for serious drag racing and only about $2300, no linkage req.

A side note, usually a transmission is rated by ft/lb torque, rather than HP.

Sorry about that i didn't word it clearly...i found a complete kit for swapping in an AOD for $600...ive seen the actual trans go for as little as $150 on craigslist. So thats $750 right there, plus the price of having it rebuilt by a pro (to handle 500 horse) would probably be a lot cheaper than a tko swap. i was just saying that ive noticed its a significant amount more to put in a 5 speed than an auto w/od. Most of the places ive looked into rate their trans by hp, but thats just what i've seen.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:10 PM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

68EFIVERT...you were able to install a T56 with no cutting at all? i read the post u put up through that link and it look like u just used 1/2 inch drop motor mounts and adjustable cross member?
Yep, no cutting at all. I used Ron Morris lowering motor mounts and fabricated my own tranny mount once it was installed and the angle was set. It is a tight fit but I am more than happy with the results. I love the 6 speed becasue of the gear ratios. You have your basic 4 gears but the difference is in the overdrive. The 5th gear is like a road race TKO but the 6th gear is like the normal overdrive about .62 IIRC.

Quick Reply: modern 5 speed swap...do i really have to cut my car? :(