Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Performance mods on a 66 w/ 302

Old 09-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

If the car is an automatic there is about a 98% chance that it is a C4.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Where are you located in TN? The MusicCityMustangClub is having their annual show at Nashville SuperSpeedway in Lebanon off I-840 near Nashville this weekend Sat. 9/18:
http://www.musiccitymustangclub.org/...l_Car_Show.pdf

I'll be there with the wife's '09 Warriors in Pink as my '67 isn't running yet, plenty of mustangs and fun, at noon they have a free parade lap around the speedway for show entrants! it ain't at parade speed either!
Jon
Old 09-14-2010, 03:23 PM
302blue66

Originally Posted by Jonk67
Where are you located in TN? The MusicCityMustangClub is having their annual show at Nashville SuperSpeedway in Lebanon off I-840 near Nashville this weekend Sat. 9/18:
http://www.musiccitymustangclub.org/...l_Car_Show.pdf

I'll be there with the wife's '09 Warriors in Pink as my '67 isn't running yet, plenty of mustangs and fun, at noon they have a free parade lap around the speedway for show entrants! it ain't at parade speed either!
Jon
I actually live in Lebanon and go to school in Cookeville. And I'll try to be there.

And I just found out my buddy is selling his 89 model 302 punched .030 which makes it 306. speedpro forged pistons with chromoly rings, comp cam xtreme energy, gt40p heads with 1.94 intake valves and 1.54", they have a 5 angle job and the valves are stainless, short block was assembled by a local shop and the heads are from tri-state cylinder head in indiana. I'm plannin on getting that with all it's accesorries for $1000 and putting a new carb and intake manifold on it. What carb and intake would ya'll recommend?
Old 09-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Wow.... you got the bug....

So we're going from transmission and performance Items to a new/used engine. You might want to take a breather for a second and figure out a starting point and a goal in mind. What do you want out of the car? a good driver/weekend cruiser, a 1/4 bruiser?

Do you know how much HP your buddy's engine is putting out? What are the specs on your current engine? If you don't know you might want to call the person that you bought the car and figure out what's in the car. It might not be worth the $1000 to put an engine in that may give you 50 hp above what you have now when the mods we talked about earlier would really wake the car up.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 PM
302blue66

Originally Posted by Stangatic
Wow.... you got the bug....

So we're going from transmission and performance Items to a new/used engine. You might want to take a breather for a second and figure out a starting point and a goal in mind. What do you want out of the car? a good driver/weekend cruiser, a 1/4 bruiser?

Do you know how much HP your buddy's engine is putting out? What are the specs on your current engine? If you don't know you might want to call the person that you bought the car and figure out what's in the car. It might not be worth the $1000 to put an engine in that may give you 50 hp above what you have now when the mods we talked about earlier would really wake the car up.
Well I kinda just decided to stop workin on my truck and start on the stang. The person I got it from knows nothing about it because they had a shop do it all. I'm looking to make it to a streetable drag car. If I do the swap I'll get a manual transmission and build the rear end. He says the motor alone pushes out at least 300 hp but depending on how good the air flow and carb setup is it could easily be about 400 or so. He had it on an efi setup
Old 09-15-2010, 06:07 AM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Ok.... Kind of the direction that I am going with on my stang. Offer your buddy an extra $300 - $500 for the T5 that he has in the car assuming his fox is a manual tranny car. You might want to pursuade him that if he is going with a high HP engine, the T-5 is only good for 300ftlbs of toque depending on how the car is driven.

If the engine that he is selling you comes with the EFI intake and is fully dressed (intake down to the oil pan) all you will need to do is:
1. swap the oil pump and pan with the 66 pan
2. Assuming that the water pump is on the engine, I would recommend buying the 5.0 conversion radiator from CJ pony parts so you don’t have to touch the engine, you will still be able to set the timing, and the bottom radiator intake will be on the correct side to make it work with your buddy’s engine.
3. Lastly, if the engine is already set up for running EFI, I would stick with the EFI. You can buy all the wiring and computer box that you need off ebay or from a junk yard.
4. Check out the forums and google the swap to read up on it. I may be missing a few things.

Staying with the EFI gives you the advantages of technology and better mpg too.

Finally, before you do the swap, decide what you want to do with the engine you currently have. You could probably sell your engine for around $1000 if you can prove that it runs and take the buyer out for a drive.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:34 AM
302blue66

Originally Posted by Stangatic
Ok.... Kind of the direction that I am going with on my stang. Offer your buddy an extra $300 - $500 for the T5 that he has in the car assuming his fox is a manual tranny car. You might want to pursuade him that if he is going with a high HP engine, the T-5 is only good for 300ftlbs of toque depending on how the car is driven.

If the engine that he is selling you comes with the EFI intake and is fully dressed (intake down to the oil pan) all you will need to do is:
1. swap the oil pump and pan with the 66 pan
2. Assuming that the water pump is on the engine, I would recommend buying the 5.0 conversion radiator from CJ pony parts so you don’t have to touch the engine, you will still be able to set the timing, and the bottom radiator intake will be on the correct side to make it work with your buddy’s engine.
3. Lastly, if the engine is already set up for running EFI, I would stick with the EFI. You can buy all the wiring and computer box that you need off ebay or from a junk yard.
4. Check out the forums and google the swap to read up on it. I may be missing a few things.

Staying with the EFI gives you the advantages of technology and better mpg too.

Finally, before you do the swap, decide what you want to do with the engine you currently have. You could probably sell your engine for around $1000 if you can prove that it runs and take the buyer out for a drive.
He is pretty dead set on keeping the T-5. The motor doesn't come with an intake manifold or anything so it would be my best option to just carb it. And I already have a buyer lined up for my current engine