Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help!! Rounded spark plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:31 PM
crunchytator
1st Gear Member

Question Help!! Rounded spark plug

OK heres what i got. my 66 with a 289 has a stuck plug in #3 cylinder. I rounded the flats trying to get it out. Porcelain is broke off. just got the car and dont know how long its been since last change but the others were rusted so its been awhile.

This is what i tried,
-sprayed liberally with penetrating oil for several days, tapping on it everyday to help it soak in.
-put JBWeld in a socket and stuck it on the plug overnight to harden but when i put pressure on it the socket broke loose. i guess because of the rust it will not grab very well.
-tried to use the gator socket with the pins in it but to get one that fits it was to big to get in the space.
-tried to hammer a metric socket on but its just to tight and cant get a hard enough hit on it to do any good.

I am trying to keep from pulling the motor to get this thing out and i refuse to pay the dealership $250 to pull one plug. I will pull the motor before i do that. I have thought about just pulling the head but not sure how difficult that is. I have searched the forum and havent been able to find anything else to help me. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I know when i put the new ones in to put anti sieze on them and torque them to keep this from happening again.

Last edited by crunchytator; 03-11-2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: cause
Old 03-11-2010, 10:56 PM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

Possible to weld some sort of handle or tool onto it?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:15 PM
crunchytator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 350kmileFord
Possible to weld some sort of handle or tool onto it?
i dont know, its so tight it would be tough. i dont have a welder so would have to get someone to do it.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:16 PM
photocliff
2nd Gear Member

Would heating the engine up expand the steele enough allowing to loosen up around it a bit....That is if the engine is able to start up. The other cylinders can create enough heat.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:25 PM
crunchytator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by photocliff
Would heating the engine up expand the steele enough allowing to loosen up around it a bit....That is if the engine is able to start up. The other cylinders can create enough heat.
That might work if i can figure out a way to grab the plug. My socket is usless now. I might be able to get some needle nose vise grips on it but not sure if it will be strong enough to break it loose.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:36 PM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

Want to try and pull a plug off a hot engine? I don't imagine the heat trick will work in this case.

Could you set it up to use an easy-out style bit?

Last edited by 350kmileFord; 03-11-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:03 AM
crunchytator
1st Gear Member

im not sure if i can drill a hole in it to get the bit in. i might be able to use one of those 90degree things on my drill but not sure. it would have to be a short bit to be able to drill it fairly straight. ill see if i can get one in there.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:35 AM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

Just don't drill completely through, if possible. Otherwise awkward, improvised vacuuming will be required.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Doesn't Sears or someone make a socket that has pins in it to clamp onto any shape? I can't search Sears at the moment, there site is down for maint. but I could have sworn I've seen that, may be worth a try.
Jon
Old 03-12-2010, 01:17 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

I'll be the first to speak of the reality of the situation, sounds like you need to pull the head buddy.

Quick Reply: Help!! Rounded spark plug