Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help!! Rounded spark plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 01:25 AM
crunchytator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jonk67
Doesn't Sears or someone make a socket that has pins in it to clamp onto any shape? I can't search Sears at the moment, there site is down for maint. but I could have sworn I've seen that, may be worth a try.
Jon
Yea they have 2. one goes to 3/4 which is to small and the other goes to 1 1/16" and couldnt even get that fat dude in the hole
Old 03-12-2010, 01:27 AM
crunchytator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
I'll be the first to speak of the reality of the situation, sounds like you need to pull the head buddy.
yea your probably right but i wanted to exhaust all my options before doing that cause if i go that far i am just going to go ahead and pull the motor and rebuild it but i just wasnt ready to do that yet.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:31 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

You don't need to rebuild the motor just because you need to pull a head. It will give you a better idea if it really needs to be rebuilt though.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:14 AM
crunchytator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
You don't need to rebuild the motor just because you need to pull a head. It will give you a better idea if it really needs to be rebuilt though.
What is it that will tell me that? is it hard to pull the head with the motor in place?
Old 03-12-2010, 03:08 AM
1965screamer
2nd Gear Member

Have you tried using a bolt extractor? These work amazing on rounded bolts and don't see why it wont work on the spark plug, just as long as you can get it in there.

http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...oltgrip_lg.jpg
Old 03-12-2010, 05:10 AM
crunchytator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1965screamer
Have you tried using a bolt extractor? These work amazing on rounded bolts and don't see why it wont work on the spark plug, just as long as you can get it in there.

http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...oltgrip_lg.jpg
no but that does look like it will work, i will see if i can find one
Old 03-12-2010, 05:19 AM
71mach1prochrgd

Its like what 12 intake bolts, 5 valve cover bolts, 10 rocker bolts, and 10 head bolts plus miscelaneous. Come on man, in the time youve spent trying to shortcut you could already have pulled the head. Also, like 67t5 said, it will tell you how good of shape your engine is in. And no, theyre not that hard to pull in the car. I know a guy that can pull either head off any 60s or early 70s ford in an hour. I mean the average joe shouldnt take more thatn three or four hours.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:09 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

plyers will not help anything if the sockert couldn't get it out. never seen a rounded plug. but i had in the past a few heads with plugs that wouldn't come out and the only way i got them out was with a pneumatic drill. it has the nice effect of hammering them out. if it's stuck like you say you might just break everything if you could get good grip.
so the first thing you need to organise is a socket that will fit tight (maybe different size, metric?) worst case hammer it on and then get it out with penetration oil and air gun
Old 03-12-2010, 08:32 AM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

i would pull the exhaust manifold and put a pair of vise-grips on there
Old 03-12-2010, 08:59 AM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Are you using a six point socket?A six point should grab a rounded plug, but it sounds too far gone. I am wondering if the plug is cross threaded and if that's the case it would never come out.

If you do get something to finally grab it adequately get some help and a breaker bar or a length of pipe.

Quick Reply: Help!! Rounded spark plug