Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

front spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Gun Jam

I know enough about aerodynamics to say that you should consult someone (not really sure who) about the required suspension and body modifications necessary for those speeds.

Right away I can tell you some type of wing / dam is needed and ground clearance cant exceed 4" maybe less if you expect usable control and want to try 160+ more than once or twice.

It sounds like you have good power. If it were me I would re gear it to redline at 130 and race it on a track like laguna seca in one of those classic car things like the can am or whatever they are doing now days it would probably be a lot more fun than trying to push 200 out of it.

good luck

-Gun
Old 03-18-2010, 10:17 PM
jgstang65
2nd Gear Member

i think they look goofy to pre 69 also, but these look ok...

Old 03-19-2010, 12:45 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I can tell you over 150mph the front end does get really light.My 68 even with a chin spoiler i can almost spin my steering wheel and not change lanes.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:58 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

It looks like a snow plow. LOL... I don't see how anyone can think they look good. Also, I am curious to know how effective they are if they are at all. Those front spoilers would look 10 times better if they were not so big/thick.

On another note, I think those Eleanor type fog lights next to the head lights look stupid. Are they fog or parking lights?

Those are nice cars though. I like that silver and burgandy fastback.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 03-19-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:28 AM
Gun Jam

There once was a guy named Soaring he used to love to hate and jump around when he saw mods... then one day i guess he got too old to jump up and down so he picked his toys up and put the forum down some would say it was the wisest decision he ever made.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:36 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

I miss Soaring sometimes haha, he was a good guy, just very, very against mods lol.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:55 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I'm not against modifications, just certain ones that don't look good. I like subtle mods best. I just don't see how anyone thinks that looks good. It only looks right on a 69-70 Mach 1 or similar car.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:30 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Well, good luck ever getting a classic Mustang up to 160 on a road course. Drag racing, sure, road racing, unlikely. Modern road racing cars that are very light with highly advanced aero packages and pushing out over 500hp have a hard time hitting 160mph on road courses....good luck getting a classic Mustang there on a road course.

That said, the 2 biggest things that effect high speed stability are aero from body design and suspension. Since you can't change the body enough, that means 90% of everything you do for stability at speed is going to be in the suspension. Lower to the ground = better, increases the ground effect and causes the whole car to act like an inverted airplane wing. Also, shocks. Shocks with a softer rebound valving will be more inclined to let the front end lift. Actually, shocks and springs in general...F1 cars for instance runs INSANELY stiff suspension(almost like having no suspension) just so the car can retain a consistent ride height at all speeds, but that's mainly to combat the high downforce from aero packages. The more consistent you keep the ride height, the more stable at high speed.

ANY car is going to have lighter feeling steering at high speed. Most new cars you don't feel it because the p/s systems absorb most road feel, but at higher speeds the car has more forward energy so it puts a greater load on the front tires and they operate at a higher slip angle.

Generally, the smoother the underside of the car is, the lower to the ground and the more consistent the ride height, the better the high speed stability. Those will have a bigger impact than any other crap you can do to it, unless you get into radical F1 type wings.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:08 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

heheheeee :-) that sounds like something I would do. put massive wings on a F1 car and only after the first crash figure that the wings probably shoved the car into the ground at high speed *g*
Old 03-19-2010, 02:46 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Those wings on F1 cars produce HUGE downforce. At full speed they're producing downforce equal to about 3x the vehicles weight. But, they also produce huge drag as well, more wing means more cornering grip at high speed, but a lower total high speed. You can put wings on a classic Mustang for road racing to get better cornering grip at higher speeds, but the car will have a reduced top speed, so it's a tradeoff.

Quick Reply: front spoiler