Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

front spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 12:31 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

Default front spoiler

Anyone running the long nose fiberglass spoiler on a 65-66 mustang?
Im wondering if you noticed any diff after running I know these things tend to lift at speed and im pushing the some go-go looking int either making ones from Alum and match the rear also with a nascar low spoiler not a ricer wing lol. Just think I'm gonna need to keep the nose down plan on seeing some track time and some open stretches at speed.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:58 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I vote no for that mod. I think those things look goofy on pre 69 Mustangs.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:10 PM
Gun Jam

Not sure about generating any down force but Im pretty sure I noticed a slightly smoother ride as these things do help keep wind out from under the car. It feels like the wind doesn't buffet the car quite as much. I read somewhere that some engineers from back in the day figured they were effective above 40 mph at reducing the amount of turbulence acting on the underside of the car.

I like the way mine looks...its not a fiberglass one but I'm happy with it.

-Gun
Old 03-15-2010, 12:50 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

On my 68 over 80 i could tell the steering wasn't as light but over 100 it acts like its not there tho.If your going that far put a belly pan on it will do more for it then a chin spoiler.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:44 AM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the info guys.
Ill just run without and see how it behaves once I hit a open track.
I have been told these things get dangerously light at 160mph so should be a interesting test period.

Before I get flamed about speeding this car will never see top end unless a track or the silver state classic which is what I had in mind while building it.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:57 AM
Gun Jam

If you are going to run those speeds you might want to look into an air dam. I dont think they are rated to 160 either. You are probably going to need some specialized equipment that I am unaware of.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:14 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i'd say a 64-66 mustang will do a nice backflip if you hit 160mph with it. probably before that already, and frankly i don'tm like the way the steering gets lighter above 80, but don't think that front spoiler will really do much of a difference
Old 03-17-2010, 01:25 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

Hey Kali the front is the mustang 2 setup now and not anything like it was much better and it has a huge cross member in ther now and feels a lot stronger.

I dont know exactly what its going to do but have seen some vids of a 65 fastback hitting 170 but had the huge ricer wing on the back and a a long spoiler out front looked stupid but i guess thats what it takes to keep them on the ground.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Gun Jam

Yeah that sounds about right.. Running a noticeable rake like 3"+ lower in the front so the whole car acts as a wing might be required as well.

160 with this type of car is actually going to take some engineering based on real numbers and careful modifications like those spoilers before its actually going to be somewhat safe and drivable at those speeds.

-Gun
Old 03-17-2010, 01:56 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

Gun jam i like the spoiler on yours looks nice.
As far as I know im in new territory and may need to just not push that hard may have over built the car for its areo capabilities. The numbers and gears count up to 200 mph but dont think it could stay on the ground.

The Big red 67 Camaro hits 200 and thats what i was aiming at building this his body isnt anything far from normal humm....thinking..........

Quick Reply: front spoiler