Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Fast Forward Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 07:41 PM
Obsidian71
2nd Gear Member

Default Fast Forward Fastback

OK, you people out there who don't like the rims.......IT'S ALMOST 2004!!!!!!!!!!! 15" rims are for people who want to keep the stock look (not that there's anything wrong with that) but if you want to do any level of customizing these days, I would say that 17's are the standard if you want to be noticed!! anything smaller then that, and they belong on a not so well equipped Kia!
Old 12-01-2003, 08:12 PM
Jugador1
I ♥ Acer

yeah but it's right down on the damn rims and that makes it look like s**t
Old 12-01-2003, 10:09 PM
bigchalupa
1st Gear Member

it is almost 2004 but making a car from the 60s look like it should be from 2004 does not look right, too much attention is drawn to the rims when it should be focused on the car itself
Old 12-01-2003, 10:34 PM
Obsidian71
2nd Gear Member

OK, point taken, if you take a classic and slap 20's on it, it looks like crap!! But if you take the "restomod" approach, and make the wheels work with everything else, (in this case the re-worked sail panels, the shaved handles, the frenched taillights, and the huge brakes that require the clearance) then you have a nice combination of classic styling with modern touches. Get used to it, this is the way of the future, we are running out of street rods to build, so it is only natural that younger generations like myself are going to figure out new ways to modify muscle cars because thats whats availible to us. In about 15 - 20 years people will probably be doing gound up restorations on (dare I say this) Hondas and Nissans, and we will have to accept it as an addition to a continually changing hobby, and respect the vehicles for the time and effort put into them, whether they are to our particular taste or not. Open your minds a little!!! I am still a sucker for a nicely done original as well, because I know what goes into them too.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:38 PM
rangerfredbob
1st Gear Member

exactly, and what purpose other than looks do friggin huge rims have(other than brakes, but 17-18" is all you really need which isn't too excessive)? seriously, tire technology has increased over the years by quite a bit, you don't need 1" sidewalls to get perfect handling with suspension that wasn't made for that in the first place. also, do you know how much those wheels weigh? seriously, rubber is much lighter than metal, and you don't want a huge rotating mass. I'm much more for functionality than looks, that's half the reason my truck still has a huge dent in the side from well over a year ago</P>

I do realize that our 235 60 R14's are kinda funky, especially in front with the 6" wheels, there's scuff marks half way up the sidewalls, but I think the pressure is a bit low on those anyway...</P><edited><editID>rangerfredbob</editID><editDate>37956.8618402778</editDate></edited>
Old 12-06-2003, 12:22 PM
69fastback302
1st Gear Member

to bad, a totally ruined fastback
Old 12-06-2003, 01:23 PM
Jugador1
I ♥ Acer

Originally Posted by dohcramair71
In about 15 - 20 years people will probably be doing gound up restorations on (dare I say this) Hondas and Nissans, and we will have to accept it as an addition to a continually changing hobby, and respect the vehicles for the time and effort put into them, whether they are to our particular taste or not.
</P>

ROFL why would someone restore some lamer *** worthless econobox when they could buy onein good shape for practically nothing?you'd be stupid to restore such a worthless car</P>

Originally Posted by 69fastback302
to bad, a totally ruined fastback
</P>

yep...</P><edited><editID>Jugador</editID><editDate>37961.4749537037</editDate></edited>
Old 03-08-2004, 08:28 PM
soliddrummer

Default RE: Fast Forward Fastback

This just blows my mind....How can you people be so close minded as to think that this is a ruined fastback...Personally I think it is the HOTTEST fastback I have ever seen....Granted I am young, 23 and am not really into the "original" thing, although some of the nicest cars I have ever seen were restored to "original" specs and condition. There is something to be said for that as well. Nostalgia......To me, a car is simply a reflection of its owner. Nothing more, nothing less. Thats why I dont buy parts off of ebaymotors and install them, I FABRICATE them. There is much more to this car than a big set of rims, it is an art piece and the executed vision of a guy who knows and loves cars. Not everyone is going to like it. Not everyone likes Van Gogh, or Dali, but that doesnt mean that they ruined perfectly good canvases. This car was built exceptionally well, and in my opinion is a masterpiece. You are entitled to your own opinion, but dont close yourself off to the possibilities of someone elses vision.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:23 PM
red347
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Fast Forward Fastback

Very nice piece of work. Having done a 68 and knowing what this car looked like when they started, all I can say is outstanding.

Ron