Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Wheel choice, 14 vs 15", retro vs TT ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ndnboy
Got the wheels /tires in a couple a days ago, whatya think.......
i think you made the perfect choice...the Mag500s look better with your black roof.
very nice
Old 06-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Tims65
1st Gear Member

Love the look, a liitle upset they came in black wall, rep at CJ's told me that they were white lettered : (
Looks great! I agree with Aussie66Fastback, the Magnum 500's look great with your black vinyl top.

Also, I think the blackwalls look much better then RWL's would have looked. The RWL's draw attention to the tires and your car doesn't have any thing for the white letters to tie into. Looks much better with just red, black and chrome.

Tim
Old 06-20-2010, 09:19 PM
ndnboy
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys, Def liking the new Wheels, now I just have to find a home for the 68/69 Style Steel....
Old 06-21-2010, 08:29 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Love the look, a liitle upset they came in black wall, rep at CJ's told me that they were white lettered : (
That looks awesome!

What tires are they BFG TAs or Cooper Cobras? Are they not white letter at all or are the white letters on the inside? I kinda agree with the others, it looks great with the black walls.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 06-21-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 PM
ndnboy
3rd Gear Member

They are BFG TA's and dont have white letters at all, like the white letters I had on the old wheels but these do look good blackwall as well : )
Old 06-22-2010, 05:47 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Thats weird, I didn't know that BFG Radial TAs came with out the white letters. Thats kinda cool though.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:24 PM
ndnboy
3rd Gear Member

Well, Im having rrubbing isues : (

Went with the 15x7's based on what I saw that they wouldnt rub and no need for a fender roll, well its rubbing up front only as far as I could tell, and on top of that it almost ruined the new wheel molding I ust installed. Looks like the tire made some contact at the top of the wheel well opening and near the front, about 3/4 ways up, I guess that was while turning.....

What can I do to correct rub, will placing coil spacers (Iguess thats what theyre called) or replacing shocks help? Car could use new shocks, nothing real bad at this point but wondering if that would help.

Any suggestions, thx
Old 08-02-2010, 01:29 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I have not seen a 15x7 with stock backspacing and 215 60 15 tires rub. Is the car lowered? New shocks may help if they are gas charged like KYB, but I'm not sure how likely that is. Something that might help with rubbing would be a thicker sway bar. Does it rub when turning, or only when turning and going into a driveway etc?

Mine don't rub and I have 1 inch lowering springs in the front.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 08-03-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Tims65
1st Gear Member

Well, Im having rrubbing isues : (
... Looks like the tire made some contact at the top of the wheel well opening and near the front, about 3/4 ways up, I guess that was while turning.....
I think you can correct this with an alignment.

Do you have adjustable strut rods? If so, many alignment shops will adjust your caster by pulling the LCA toward the front with adjustable strut rods. If you are rubbing toward the front of your wheel wells, you can back the Caster off (using the strut rods) and increase the Caster by placing shims on the front mounting point of the UCA. This will keep you wheel centered in you wheel well and should eliminate the rubbing.

Also, I see your local, so I'm glad to have a look if you show up to one of the Saturday morning meet ups.

Tim
Old 08-03-2010, 04:27 PM
ndnboy
3rd Gear Member

Car isnt lowered, seems to rub while turning at "normal" speed, causing the car to dip a bit, slowed on some turns to the point of no sway and didnt hear the rub, the wheel opening molding showed marks on top and 3/4 up front.

Tim, sad to say I dont know enough to tell u if I have adjustable strut rods : (
What Sat meet spot are u talking about? MD area?

I removed the new molding until I get this corrected, the tire pulled it back pretty good on the DS, sad thing about the molding is that it was my treat for CJ's error, they gave me a store credit since they sent me the blackwall vs the white letterd tires, hope to place back on soon......

Quick Reply: Wheel choice, 14 vs 15", retro vs TT ???